According to Harvardshoes, Prosser, Washington is a small city located in the Yakima Valley in south-central Washington. The city is home to approximately 5,800 people and is situated along the Yakima River. It is located about 50 miles southeast of Seattle and about 40 miles northwest of Yakima.
The city was founded in 1894 by William Prosser, who named it after himself. He was a sheep rancher who had come to the area from Ohio in search of land for his sheep ranching business. Prosser was known for being an early pioneer and leader of the area and he served as mayor from 1898-1902.
Today, Prosser is an agricultural hub for the region with many vineyards, wineries and farms throughout the area. The climate here is dry and warm during summer months with cold winters. The average temperature ranges from 25°F to 75°F throughout the year.
The economy of Prosser has been historically based on agriculture, but more recently has become diversified with manufacturing, retail stores, restaurants, medical services and other businesses as well. There are several public schools that serve students in grades K-12 including a high school that offers college preparatory classes as well as vocational training programs through its career center. The nearby Columbia Basin College also offers postsecondary education opportunities to local residents.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Prosser has a variety of recreational activities available including golfing at Desert Aire Golf Course or exploring one of two nearby state parks: Sun Lakes State Park or Sacajawea State Park. For those looking for some family fun there are also several attractions such as mini golf courses, batting cages and water slides at Prosser’s Funland Amusement Park or laser tag at Laser Tag Extreme Arena.
In addition to its recreational opportunities, Prosser also hosts several cultural events throughout the year such as the annual Wine & Art Festival held every May which features local wineries showcasing their wines along with art galleries exhibiting artwork from local artists; or the Harvest Festival held every October which celebrates harvest season with live music performances, food vendors and activities for all ages to enjoy. There are also many annual events such as rodeos or car shows that take place throughout the year in Prosser’s downtown area which offer visitors another way to experience this small city’s culture and charm.
Overall, Prosser provides its residents with a unique combination of rural living combined with modern amenities that make it an ideal location for those looking for a peaceful escape from bigger cities while still having access to all necessary services nearby . With its close proximity to Seattle and Yakima it makes it easy for visitors or potential residents looking for a change of scenery while still having access to all necessary services nearby.
Population: 4,838. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,140 (+6.2% change)
Males: 2,310 (47.7%), Females: 2,528 (52.3%)
Zip code: 99350
Median resident age: 32.0 years
Median household income: $39,185
Median house value: $98,500
Races in Prosser:
- White Non-Hispanic (68.2%)
- Hispanic (29.4%)
- Other race (15.1%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Black (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (17.3%), English (10.8%), Irish (9.3%), United States (6.8%), Norwegian (4.3%), French (4.2%).
Elevation: 665 feet
Land area: 4.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Prosser
- High school or higher: 68.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Prosser city
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 64.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 8.4%
12.5% Foreign born (11.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +308 (+6.8%).
Hospital/medical center in Prosser:
- PROSSER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (723 MEMORIAL STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Prosser:
- SUNNYSIDE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; SUNNYSIDE, WA)
- KADLEC MEDICAL CENTER (about 34 miles; RICHLAND, WA)
- LOURDES COUNSELING CENTER (about 34 miles; RICHLAND, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Prosser:
- TRI-CITIES (about 45 miles; PASCO, WA; Abbreviation: PSC)
- YAKIMA AIR TERMINAL/MCALLISTER FIELD (about 59 miles; YAKIMA, WA; Abbreviation: YKM)
- EASTERN OREGON REGIONAL AT PENDLETON (about 74 miles; PENDLETON, OR; Abbreviation: PDT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Prosser:
- PROSSER (about 2 miles; PROSSER, WA; Abbreviation: S40)
- SUNNYSIDE MUNI (about 16 miles; SUNNYSIDE, WA; Abbreviation: 1S5)
- BOARDMAN (about 29 miles; BOARDMAN, OR; Abbreviation: M50)
Amtrak station near Prosser:
- 17 miles: SUNNYSIDE (OUTPOST TEXACO, EXIT 69, I-82) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Prosser:
- COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE (about 47 miles; PASCO, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- YAKIMA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 63 miles; YAKIMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,906)
- CENTRAL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 77 miles; ELLENSBURG, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,420)
- WENATCHEE VALLEY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; WENATCHEE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,074)
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 100 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 132 miles; LA GRANDE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,192)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 153 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
Public high schools in Prosser:
- PROSSER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 843; Location: 1203 PROSSER AVE.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PROSSER FALLS EDUCATION CENTER (Students: 69; Location: 1500 GRANT AVE.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Prosser:
- HOUSEL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 676; Location: 2001 HIGHLAND DR.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PROSSER HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY (Students: 511; Location: 2008 MILLER AVE.; Grades: 03 – 05)
- KEENE-RIVERVIEW ELEMENTARY (Students: 480; Location: 832 PARK AVE.; Grades: PK – 02)
- WHITSTRAN ELEMENTARY (Students: 285; Location: 102101 W. FOISY; Grades: KG – 05)