According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Potterville, Michigan is a small village located in Eaton County. It is situated on the banks of the Grand River, and is part of the Lansing metropolitan area. The village was founded in 1836 by John Potter, and has a population of about 3,500 people.
The town features a variety of local businesses including several antique shops, art galleries, restaurants, and a movie theater. Potterville also boasts two parks: Potter Memorial Park and Mill Pond Park. The former is a large park featuring walking trails and recreational activities such as basketball courts and playgrounds while the latter is a small pond with fishing opportunities.
The town has an interesting history which dates back to its founding by John Potter in 1836. He was an entrepreneur who saw potential in the area due to its proximity to Lansing and other settlements near the Grand River. After purchasing land from local Native Americans he built several businesses including grist mills and sawmills which helped to support the settlement’s growth. In 1871 Potterville was officially incorporated as a village with John Potter as its first mayor.
According to Topbbacolleges, Potterville retains much of its historic charm thanks to its many buildings constructed during this period including the old post office building which still stands today as well as many other historic homes located throughout town. The village also celebrates its heritage each year with their annual “Potterfest” festival featuring live music, food vendors, carnival rides and more!
Aside from its unique history and culture, Potterville offers plenty of outdoor activities for residents to enjoy such as kayaking down the river or visiting one of the nearby nature preserves for hiking or bird watching. Additionally, there are several parks with playgrounds for children to explore along with community gardens where residents can grow their own produce or flowers if they choose!
Overall, Potterville offers something for everyone – whether it’s exploring its rich history or taking advantage of all it has to offer outdoors – it’s definitely worth checking out.
Population: 2,168. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,205 (+1.7% change)
Males: 1,042 (48.1%), Females: 1,126 (51.9%)
Zip code: 48876
Median resident age: 29.2 years
Median household income: $42,292
Median house value: $88,100
Races in Potterville:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
- Hispanic (4.0%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- Other race (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
Ancestries: German (26.6%), English (14.1%), Irish (13.6%), United States (12.3%), French (4.8%), Dutch (4.5%).
Land area: 1.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Potterville
- High school or higher: 87.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Potterville city
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 58.3%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 11.9%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +655 (+43.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Potterville:
- HAYES GREEN BEACH MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; CHARLOTTE, MI)
- EATON RAPIDS MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; EATON RAPIDS, MI)
- INGHAM REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; LANSING, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Potterville:
- CAPITAL CITY (about 15 miles; LANSING, MI; Abbreviation: LAN)
- W K KELLOGG (about 42 miles; BATTLE CREEK, MI; Abbreviation: BTL)
- GERALD R. FORD INTERNATIONAL (about 57 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Abbreviation: GRR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Potterville:
- FITCH H BEACH (about 6 miles; CHARLOTTE, MI; Abbreviation: FPK)
- SKYWAY ESTATES (about 8 miles; EATON RAPIDS, MI; Abbreviation: 60G)
- ABRAMS MUNI (about 10 miles; GRAND LEDGE, MI; Abbreviation: 4D0)
Amtrak station near Potterville:
- 19 miles: EAST LANSING (1240 S. HARRISON ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Potterville:
- MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; EAST LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 38,639)
- LANSING COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,454)
- SPRING ARBOR UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; SPRING ARBOR, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,266)
- JACKSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; JACKSON, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,756)
- KELLOGG COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; BATTLE CREEK, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,824)
- CALVIN COLLEGE (about 60 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 4,148)
- AQUINAS COLLEGE (about 65 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,022)
Public high school in Potterville:
- POTTERVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 278; Location: 422 N. HIGH STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Potterville:
- POTTERVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 348; Location: 426 N. HIGH STREET; Grades: PK – 04)
- POTTERVILLE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 282; Location: 424 N. HIGH STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)
Library in Potterville:
- POTTERVILLE-BENTON TOWNSHIP DISTRICT LIBRARY (Operating income: $62,044; Location: 150 LIBRARY LANE; 13,500 books; 250 audio materials; 225 video materials; 48 serial subscriptions)