Tenerife is so multifaceted that the feeling arises that this destination has two faces: the adventurous are drawn to the north, while the leisurely beach holidaymakers are drawn to the south. Tenerife South is touristy and sunny, but nature is accordingly barren and dry. Here you will find many large beaches, some of which have been artificially created. The places Los Cristianos, Playa de las Americas and Costa Adeje form the tourist strongholds . To Tenerife North, it is more for those who are close to nature who prefer a green landscape and are looking for Canarian flair. The only tourist stronghold in the north of the island is Puerto de la Cruz. In the middle of the island is the 7500 meter high mountain Teide, which divides Tenerife into the north and south of the island. The weather limit that results from the mountain is the reason that the sun shines more often in the south than in the north.
In the following you will find out which regions and cities there are to discover during your holiday in Tenerife and what they are all about.
Puerto de la Cruz
- most touristic port city on the north coast ofthe island
- known for the dark volcanic sand
- Sights: Loro Parque, Lago Martiánez open-air swimming pool, botanical garden and much more
- The center of the city is the Plaza del Charco
- Old town with colorful streets, colonial houses steeped in history and Canarian restaurants
- lots of palm trees, flowers and subtropical plants
Playa de las Americas
- Party stronghold located in the southwest of Tenerife
- numerous hotels, beautiful palm beaches and a long beach promenade
- laid out coastal town
- adjacent to the place Costa Adeje
- suitable for couples, but also families and couples
- many opportunities for water sports: surfing, boat tour, jet skiing and more
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- largest city on the island, located on the northeast coast
- counts alongside Las Palmas de Gran Canaria as the capital of the autonomous community of Canarias
- largest port in Spain
- View of the beautiful Anaga Mountains
- Sights such as the auditorium of Tenerife, the old town center and much more
- fantastic beach, Playa de Las Teresitas, very close by
- Climbing and hiking opportunities for nature lovers
- tourist resort in the southwest of Tenerife
- one of the busiest vacation spots in Spain
- Harbor with ferry connection to the neighboring island of La Gomera
- Artificially created, white sand beach (Sahara sand) opposite the port
- many bars, restaurants, cafes and exciting night life
- many water sports activities possible: snorkeling, diving, sailing and much more
Puerto de Santiago
- Port city on the southwest coast of Tenerife
- formerly an idyllic fishing village, today touristy
- famous black sand beach – Playa de la Arena
- near the impressive Los Gigantes cliffs
- Excursion possibilities: watch whales and dolphins, boat tours and much more
- suitable for active vacationers, sports enthusiasts, but also those looking for peace and quiet
In addition to Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos, Costa Adeje is also one of the tourist centers in the south of the island. The three larger towns are connected by a promenade. If you don’t mind the hustle and bustle and if you want to be close to the action on holiday, this is definitely the place to be. There is a huge variety of hotels offering lots of activities. From here you can drive to the west of the island and visit Los Gigantes , which is famous for its cliffs . In the quieter north, in addition to Puerto de la Cruz and Santa Cruz, there are also smaller popular cities such as Garachico , La Laguna and La Orotava waiting for you.
Tenerife – 100% life
Whether in summer or winter – hardly any other island is as diverse as Tenerife. Would you like to find out what makes Tenerife so special? I’ll show you the peculiarities of the popular Canary Island , take you to the most beautiful places and show you how varied a holiday on Tenerife can be.
Look forward to tips on the worthwhile excursions and sights in Tenerife , find out which great activities and highlights the island has in store for you, even away from the beaches. Discover spectacular landscapes that you won’t find anywhere else and read more about sustainability and environmental protection ! With my articles you are optimally prepared for your vacation.