According to Fashionissupreme, Pennock is a small town located in rural Minnesota, just north of the Iowa border. It is named after James Pennock, who established a homestead in the area in 1878. The town has a population of just over 600 people and is situated on the banks of the Chippewa River.
The town is known for its friendly people and peaceful atmosphere. There are no large stores or big businesses, but there are plenty of small shops and businesses that make up the heart of Pennock. The main street consists mostly of family-owned stores, such as a grocery store, hardware store, post office, gas station, and restaurants.
The town is full of outdoor activities for those who enjoy nature. There are several parks with walking trails and picnic areas to explore. The nearby Chippewa River offers excellent fishing opportunities for anglers in search of walleye or northern pike. In addition to fishing, the river provides boating opportunities for kayakers and canoers alike.
According to Harvardshoes, Pennock also has an active arts scene with several galleries showcasing local artists’ work. The annual Pennock Arts Festival takes place each summer and features music performances by local musicians as well as art displays from local painters and sculptors.
The community spirit in Pennock is strong; there are regular events such as the annual Fourth of July parade and fireworks display that bring residents together to celebrate their heritage and share memories with one another. There are also several churches in town that serve as spiritual centers for members of all faiths who live here or visit from other places.
In short, Pennock is a small-town community with a big heart where people come together to support one another while enjoying all that nature has to offer in this rural setting along the Chippewa River Valley. It’s an ideal place to raise a family or retire peacefully away from the hustle and bustle of city life while still having access to all modern conveniences close by — making it the perfect place for anyone looking for a slower pace without sacrificing amenities or community spirit.
Population: 504. Estimated population in July 2020: 496 (-1.6% change)
Males: 255 (50.6%), Females: 249 (49.4%)
Zip code: 56279
Median resident age: 30.2 years
Median household income: $42,273
Median house value: $64,500
Races in Pennock:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.7%)
- Hispanic (11.9%)
- Other race (8.5%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (47.2%), Norwegian (32.5%), Swedish (13.7%), Irish (11.3%), Dutch (7.5%), English (5.0%).
Elevation: 1131 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Pennock
- High school or higher: 83.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pennock city
- Never married: 29.2%
- Now married: 55.6%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 8.7%
2.2% Foreign born (2.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +27 (+5.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pennock:
- RICE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; WILLMAR, MN)
- WILLMAR REGIONAL TREATMENT CENTER (about 10 miles; WILLMAR, MN)
- RENVILLE COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; OLIVIA, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pennock:
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 83 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
- BRAINERD LAKES RGNL (about 112 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Abbreviation: BRD)
- BROOKINGS MUNI (about 128 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Abbreviation: BKX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pennock:
- WILLMAR MUNI-JOHN L RICE FIELD (about 8 miles; WILLMAR, MN; Abbreviation: ILL)
- MURDOCK MUNI (about 17 miles; MURDOCK, MN; Abbreviation: 23Y)
- BROOTEN MUNI (about 24 miles; BROOTEN, MN; Abbreviation: 6D1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pennock:
- RIDGEWATER COLLEGE (about 10 miles; WILLMAR, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,711)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; MARSHALL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,405)
- SAINT CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 12,913)
- SAINT CLOUD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 74 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,183)
- GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS COLLEGE (about 100 miles; ST PETER, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,355)
- SOUTH CENTRAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE-MANKATO (about 103 miles; NORTH MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,186)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNVERSITY-MANKATO (about 107 miles; MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 11,210)