According to bittranslators, Palatka, Florida is a small city located in Putnam County, about an hour’s drive south of Jacksonville. It is situated on the banks of the St. Johns River and is home to a population of just over 10,000 people. The city is known for its natural beauty, charming downtown area, and historical sites.
The downtown area of Palatka features a variety of shops, restaurants, and attractions that make this city a great place to spend time with family and friends. The historic district boasts several buildings that have been around since the late 1800s, such as the Putnam County Courthouse and the old Putnam County Jail. There are also several museums dedicated to local history, including the St. Johns River Historical Society Museum and the Palatka Historical Society Museum.
The natural beauty of Palatka can be seen throughout town with its numerous parks and trails. Ravine Gardens State Park is one of Palatka’s most popular attractions due to its lushly landscaped gardens filled with exotic plants and flowers from around the world. Other notable parks include Welaka State Forest, Lake Stella Park, and Island Grove Park which offers camping sites for those looking for an outdoor adventure close to town.
For those looking for outdoor activities in Palatka there are plenty of options available including fishing in one of the many lakes or rivers near town or visiting nearby Silver Springs State Park which offers kayaking along crystal clear water springs or hiking through miles of trails lined with live oaks draped in Spanish moss.
According to deluxesurveillance, Palatka also has something special to offer when it comes to events throughout the year such as art festivals like Art Fest on Walnut Street or music festivals like Music at Magnolia Square which celebrate local talent from around Florida each year. The annual Azalea Festival features craft vendors selling their handmade wares while visitors enjoy live music performances throughout downtown Palatka each April while celebrating springtime blooms from azaleas around town.
For those looking for a small-town vibe with plenty to do outdoors and indoors then Palatka may be just what you need! With its rich history dating back centuries ago combined with modern amenities like museums, parks, trails and events there’s something here for everyone.
Population: 10,033. Estimated population in July 2020: 10,942 (+9.1% change)
Males: 4,516 (45.0%), Females: 5,517 (55.0%)
Zip codes: 32177.
Median resident age: 34.4 years
Median household income: $18,129
Median house value: $51,600
Races in Palatka:
- Black (48.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (47.5%)
- Hispanic (2.8%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (10.4%), English (5.6%), Irish (5.6%), German (4.5%), Scotch-Irish (1.9%), Scottish (1.9%).
Elevation: 73 feet
Land area: 7.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Palatka
- High school or higher: 66.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Palatka city
- Never married: 31.1%
- Now married: 40.4%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 11.9%
- Divorced: 12.5%
2.0% Foreign born (0.7% Europe, 0.7% Latin America, 0.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -911 (-8.3%).
Hospital/medical center in Palatka:
- PUTNAM COMMUNITY MEDICAL CENTER (HIGHWAY 20 W DRAWER 778)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Palatka:
- KINDRED HOSPITAL NORTH FLORIDA (about 23 miles; GREEN COVE SPRINGS, FL)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL FLAGLER SW BEDS (about 28 miles; BUNNELL, FL)
- FLAGLER HOSPITAL WEST (about 30 miles; SAINT AUGUSTINE, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Palatka:
- ST AUGUSTINE (about 31 miles; ST AUGUSTINE, FL; Abbreviation: SGJ)
- GAINESVILLE RGNL (about 43 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; Abbreviation: GNV)
- OCALA INTL-JIM TAYLOR FIELD (about 52 miles; OCALA, FL; Abbreviation: OCF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Palatka:
- KAY LARKIN (about 3 miles; PALATKA, FL; Abbreviation: 28J)
- KEYSTONE AIRPARK (about 30 miles; KEYSTONE HEIGHTS, FL; Abbreviation: 42J)
- PIERSON MUNI (about 32 miles; PIERSON, FL; Abbreviation: 2J8)
PALATKA (11TH & REID STS.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Palatka:
- SAINT JOHNS RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 2,509; Location: 5001 ST JOHNS AVE; Public; Website: www.sjrcc.cc.fl.us)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Palatka:
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA (about 46 miles; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,256)
- FLORIDA COMMUNITY COLLEGE AT JACKSONVILLE (about 47 miles; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 10,495)
- STETSON UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; DELAND, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,966)
- UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (about 49 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 41,543)
- CENTRAL FLORIDA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 49 miles; OCALA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,101)
- EMBRY RIDDLE AERONAUTICAL UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,008)
- DAYTONA BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 53 miles; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,257)
Public high school in Palatka:
- PALATKA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,663; Location: 302 MELLON ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Palatka:
- PENIEL BAPTIST ACADEMY (Students: 259; Location: 110 PENIEL CHURCH ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
- TEMPLE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 46; Location: PO BOX 966; Grades: KG – 12)
- PENTECOSTAL REVIVAL ACADEMY (Students: 15; Location: RT 4 BOX 1506; Grades: 1 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Palatka:
- ROBERT H. JENKINS, JUNIOR MIDDLE (Students: 767; Location: 1100 N 19TH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- W. H. BEASLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 722; Location: 1100 S 18TH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- KELLEY SMITH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 701; Location: 141 KELLEY SMITH SCHOOL R; Grades: PK – 05)
- JAMES A. LONG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 520; Location: 1400 OLD JACKSONVILLE HIG; Grades: PK – 05)
- RIVERBREEZE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 467; Location: 1100 HUSSON AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
- MELLON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 412; Location: 301 MELLON ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- WILLIAM D. MOSELEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 329; Location: 1001 HUSSON AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
- ELEANOR H. MILLER SCHOOL (Students: 123; Location: 156 HORSEMAN CLUB ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
- THE CHILDREN’S READING CENTER (Students: 74; Location: 200 MAIN STREET; Grades: KG – 03)
- PUTNAM COUNTY EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATION (Students: 18; Location: 156 HORSEMAN CLUB ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
Library in Palatka:
- PUTNAM COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $751,006; Location: 601 COLLEGE RD.; 83,225 books; 2,628 audio materials; 3,445 video materials; 335 serial subscriptions)