According to Harvardshoes, Odessa, Delaware is a small, unincorporated town located in New Castle County. It has a population of around 1,500 people and is part of the Greater Wilmington area. The town is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland, providing beautiful views of the countryside.
Odessa was first settled in 1747 by William Odell who built a mill on Appoquinimink Creek. The area was then known as Appoquinimink Hundred and was part of New Castle County. In 1851, the name of the town was officially changed to Odessa after William Odell’s son-in-law, John C. O’Dell.
Odessa has a rich history that dates back to colonial times. The town was home to several prominent families such as the O’Dells, Bancrofts, and Grubbins. These families were instrumental in shaping the culture and economy of Odessa in its early days. Many old homes still stand today along Main Street that were built by these founding families during the 19th century.
The town also has several historical sites that are worth visiting such as Holly Oak Park which is located off Main Street and contains a Revolutionary War memorial erected in 1871 dedicated to William Odell’s service during the war; St George’s Chapel which is an old Episcopal church from 1768; and Appoquinimink Creek which runs through town providing an excellent opportunity for fishing or canoeing.
In recent years, Odessa has seen an influx of new businesses that have helped to revitalize the downtown area such as restaurants, cafes and boutiques offering unique items for sale. There are also several family-friendly activities available such as miniature golf at Chestnut Grove Mini Golf or ice cream at Scoops Ice Cream Parlor & Cafe located on Main Street.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Odessa’s location makes it an ideal spot for commuters who work in Wilmington or Philadelphia since it is only about 30 minutes away from both cities via I-95 or Route 13 respectively. Despite its small size, this quaint little town offers plenty for visitors to see and do whether you’re looking for a day trip or weekend getaway.
Population: 286. Estimated population in July 2020: 322 (+12.6% change)
Males: 140 (49.0%), Females: 146 (51.0%)
New Castle County
Zip code: 19730
Median resident age: 42.0 years
Median household income: $53,269
Median house value: $136,800
Races in Odessa:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.0%)
- Black (5.2%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
Ancestries: Irish (37.8%), English (32.9%), German (29.4%), Italian (12.6%), Polish (7.3%), Dutch (4.9%).
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Odessa
- High school or higher: 87.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 33.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.9%
- Unemployed: 8.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 38.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Odessa town
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 53.6%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 12.7%
- Divorced: 9.6%
3.1% Foreign born (1.0% Europe, 0.7% Asia, 0.7% Oceania, 0.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +3 (+1.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Odessa:
- ROCKFORD CENTER (about 9 miles; NEWARK, DE)
- DELAWARE PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 16 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE)
- MEADOWWOOD BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SYSTEM (about 16 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Odessa:
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 16 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: ILG)
- DOVER AFB (about 28 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- PHILADELPHIA INTL (about 41 miles; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Abbreviation: PHL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Odessa:
- SUMMIT (about 6 miles; MIDDLETOWN, DE; Abbreviation: EVY)
- SMYRNA (about 12 miles; SMYRNA, DE; Abbreviation: 38N)
- RAINTREE (about 15 miles; ELKTON, MD; Abbreviation: 1C4)
Amtrak station near Odessa:
- 17 miles: NEWARK (429 S. COLLEGE AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Odessa:
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 9 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 13 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,817)
- WILMINGTON COLLEGE (about 16 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,087)
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- WIDENER UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 34 miles; CHESTER, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,646)
- WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 34 miles; WEST CHESTER, PA; Full-time enrollment: 10,419)
- DELAWARE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; MEDIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,248)
Library in Odessa:
- CORBIT-CALLOWAY MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $281,125; Location: 115 HIGH STREET; 32,159 books; 476 audio materials; 330 video materials; 105 serial subscriptions)