According to IAMACCEPTED, Niagara Falls, New York is a city located in the western part of New York State and is home to one of the most iconic waterfalls in the world. Niagara Falls is made up of three separate falls: Horseshoe Falls, American Falls, and Bridal Veil Falls. The Niagara River flows over these falls and empties into Lake Ontario. It is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world who come to witness the awe-inspiring beauty of this natural wonder.
The first Europeans to visit Niagara Falls were French explorers in 1678 who named it Les Chutes du Niagara (The Waterfalls of Niagara). In 1759, British forces led by General John Prideaux captured Fort Niagara from the French and built a road to access the falls from Lake Ontario. The first hotel near the falls opened in 1824 and by 1848 railroads had been built connecting Buffalo and Toronto with Niagara Falls.
The city of Niagara Falls was incorporated in 1892 and has since grown into a vibrant tourist destination with attractions that include Maid of the Mist boat tours, Journey Behind The Falls observation decks, Cave of Winds walkways, Aquarium Of Niagara, Clifton Hill entertainment district, Marineland theme park, Skylon Tower observation deck, Old Fort Erie historic site, Whirlpool Aero Car cable cars across the gorge and much more!
According to Ezinesports, Niagara Falls State Park is also located here which encompasses 400 acres along both sides of the river gorge. This park features walking trails that lead to spectacular views of both American and Horseshoe falls as well as boardwalks for closeup views. There are also picnic areas for visitors to enjoy their lunch or snacks while taking in all that nature has to offer.
For those looking for an adrenaline rush there are several zipline courses available including Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours which take riders on an exciting high-speed ride through class 5 rapids below the thundering waterfalls! For less adventurous guests there are plenty of restaurants offering local cuisine such as Beef on Weck sandwiches or classic Italian dishes like spaghetti & meatballs. There are also many shopping options from souvenir shops to boutiques selling local artisan goods.
No matter what type of experience you’re looking for when visiting Niagara Falls you’re sure to find something that will make your trip memorable! With its stunning natural beauty and wealth of attractions it’s no wonder why this incredible destination draws millions visitors each year.
Population: 55,593. Estimated population in July 2020: 52,866 (-4.9% change)
Males: 26,002 (46.8%), Females: 29,591 (53.2%)
Zip codes: 14301, 14303, 14304, 14305.
Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $26,800
Median house value: $60,800
Races in Niagara Falls:
- White Non-Hispanic (75.3%)
- Black (18.7%)
- American Indian (2.4%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: Italian (23.2%), German (16.8%), Irish (13.7%), Polish (11.0%), English (8.4%), French (3.2%).
Elevation: 618 feet
Land area: 14.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Niagara Falls
- High school or higher: 76.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 10.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Niagara Falls city
- Never married: 31.7%
- Now married: 43.6%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 11.4%
5.0% Foreign born (2.2% Europe, 1.7% North America, 0.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -6,438 (-10.4%).
Hospital/medical center in Niagara Falls:
- NIAGARA FALLS MEMORIAL MED CENTER (621 10TH ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Niagara Falls:
- MT ST MARYS HOSP OF NIAGARA FALLS (about 6 miles; LEWISTON, NY)
- KENMORE MERCY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; KENMORE, NY)
- BUFFALO PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 16 miles; BUFFALO, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Niagara Falls:
- NIAGARA FALLS INTL (about 6 miles; NIAGARA FALLS, NY; Abbreviation: IAG)
- BUFFALO NIAGARA INTL (about 24 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Abbreviation: BUF)
- CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY/JAMESTOWN (about 67 miles; JAMESTOWN, NY; Abbreviation: JHW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Niagara Falls:
- HOLLANDS INTL FIELD (about 21 miles; NEWFANE, NY; Abbreviation: 85N)
- NORTH BUFFALO SUBURBAN (about 22 miles; LOCKPORT, NY; Abbreviation: 0G0)
- CLARENCE AERODROME (about 25 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Abbreviation: D51)
NIAGARA FALLS (27TH & LOCKPORT RD.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
College/University in Niagara Falls:
- CHERYL FELLS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (Full-time enrollment: 18; Location: 2541 MILITARY RD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Niagara Falls:
- NIAGARA COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; SANBORN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,520)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT BUFFALO (about 16 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Full-time enrollment: 9,287)
- D’YOUVILLE COLLEGE (about 17 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,033)
- CANISIUS COLLEGE (about 17 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,002)
- NIAGARA UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,833)
- ERIE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 22 miles; WILLIAMSVILLE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,464)
- SUNY AT BUFFALO (about 25 miles; BUFFALO, NY; Full-time enrollment: 21,661)
Public high school in Niagara Falls:
- NIAGARA FALLS HS (Students: 2,487; Location: 4455 PORTER RD; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high school in Niagara Falls:
- NIAGARA CATHOLIC JR/SR. HIGH S (Students: 305; Location: 520 66TH STREET; Grades: 7 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Niagara Falls:
- CHARLES B. GASKILL MS (Students: 814; Location: 910 HYDE PARK BLVD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- HARRY F. ABATE ES (Students: 761; Location: 1625 LOCKPORT ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- LASALLE MS (Students: 742; Location: 7436 BUFFALO AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- NIAGARA STREET SCHOOL (Students: 649; Location: 2513 NIAGARA ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- NIAGARA MS (Students: 608; Location: 6431 GIRARD AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- COLONIAL VILLAGE ES (Students: 503; Location: 1456 SAUNDRS STLMNT R; Grades: KG – 05)
- HYDE PARK SCHOOL (Students: 498; Location: 1620 HYDE PARK BLVD; Grades: PK – 05)
- HENRY J. KALFAS MAGNET SCHOOL (Students: 468; Location: 1880 BEECH AVE; Grades: PK – 05)
- GERALDINE J. MANN SCHOOL (Students: 414; Location: 1330 95TH ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- SEVENTY NINTH STREET SCHOOL (Students: 400; Location: 551 79TH ST; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Niagara Falls:
- PRINCE OF PEACE ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 291; Location: 1055 N MILITARY ROAD; Grades: PK – 6)
- ST JOSEPH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 210; Location: 625 TRONOLONE PLACE; Grades: PK – 8)
- OUR LADY OF MT CARMEL (Students: 209; Location: 2499 INDEPENDENCE AVENUE; Grades: PK – 8)
- HOLY GHOST LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 145; Location: 6630 LUTHER STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST JOHN DE LA SALLE SCHOO (Students: 143; Location: 8477 BUFFALO AVE; Grades: KG – 8)
- SACRED HEART ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 109; Location: 1112 SOUTH AVENUE; Grades: PK – 6)
- NIAGARA CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 52; Location: 601 28TH STREET; Grades: PK – 6)
Library in Niagara Falls:
- NIAGARA FALLS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,852,709; Location: 1425 MAIN STREET; 336,911 books; 7,951 audio materials; 9,540 video materials; 890 serial subscriptions)