According to Whicheverhealth, Newark, Maryland is a small town located in Cecil County on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay. With a population of just over 1000, Newark is known for its rural charm and relaxed atmosphere. The town is surrounded by lush green fields, tall trees, and picturesque views of the bay.
The town was first established in 1676 by settlers from Philadelphia who were seeking religious freedom. Since then, Newark has been home to generations of families who have lived here for hundreds of years. The town has a rich history that can be seen in its old buildings, churches, and homes that are still standing today.
The downtown area is full of quaint shops and restaurants that offer a variety of goods and services to visitors and locals alike. From the unique gift shops to the traditional ice cream parlor, there’s something for everyone in Newark. The town also has several art galleries featuring local artists’ work as well as museums with exhibits about local history and culture.
One popular attraction in Newark is the Cecil County Fairgrounds which hosts a variety of events throughout the year such as concerts, car shows, carnivals, and more. There are also plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy such as fishing, boating, swimming at one of the many beaches along the bay or simply enjoying a picnic near one of the many rivers or streams that run through town.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Newark also boasts some great schools including Cecil College which offers associate degrees in various fields such as business administration and nursing as well as continuing education classes for adults looking to advance their career or learn new skills.
Overall, Newark is an ideal place to live if you’re looking for an escape from city life while still being close enough to enjoy all that Maryland has to offer. Whether you’re looking for relaxation or adventure there’s something here for everyone.
Males: 170 (50.1%), Females: 169 (49.9%)
Zip code: 21841
Median resident age: 43.2 years
Median household income: $38,333
Median house value: $100,200
Races in Newark:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.0%)
- Black (19.8%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- Other race (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (14.5%), English (11.2%), Irish (9.7%), Italian (7.1%), United States (7.1%), Welsh (5.0%).
Land area: 9.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Newark
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.1%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newark CDP
- Never married: 14.6%
- Now married: 61.1%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 13.9%
0.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Newark:
- ATLANTIC GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; BERLIN, MD)
- HEALTHSOUTH CHESAPEAKE REHAB HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; SALISBURY, MD)
- PENINSULA GENL HOSP (about 25 miles; SALISBURY, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Newark:
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 17 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
- DOVER AFB (about 60 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- ATLANTIC CITY INTERNATIONAL (about 95 miles; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Abbreviation: ACY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Newark:
- OCEAN CITY MUNI (about 11 miles; OCEAN CITY, MD; Abbreviation: OXB)
- BENNETT (about 25 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: 1N5)
- LAUREL (about 29 miles; LAUREL, DE; Abbreviation: N06)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newark:
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE-OWENS (about 30 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (about 31 miles; PRINCESS ANNE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,940)
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- ATLANTIC CAPE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; MAYS LANDING, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,086)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 93 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (about 97 miles; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,172)
Public high school in Newark:
- WORCESTER CAREER & TECHNOLOGY CENTER (Location: 6268 WORCESTER HWY; Grades: 09 – 12)