According to Whicheverhealth, Napoleon, Michigan is a small town located in Jackson County. It is situated on the banks of the Grand River and lies about 30 miles south of Lansing. The population of Napoleon is around 1,700 people, making it a cozy and friendly place to live.
The town was established in 1834 by General William Henry Harrison as a military camp for the War of 1812. The name Napoleon was chosen to honor the French emperor who had recently died in exile. Today, Napoleon is known for its charming downtown area, with its historic buildings and quaint shops and restaurants.
The main attraction in Napoleon is its historic downtown district, which includes several historic buildings such as the old post office, the old fire station, and several other buildings that have been preserved from the 19th century. The downtown area also features several antique stores and boutiques that specialize in unique items such as vintage clothing and furniture. Other attractions include an old-fashioned ice cream parlor called Sugar Shack Ice Cream Parlor which serves homemade ice cream treats.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Napoleon has several parks located throughout town including Veterans Memorial Park which honors those who have served our country with a memorial wall featuring names from World War II to present day conflicts; Community Park which offers playgrounds and picnic areas; and Riverside Park which offers walking trails along the Grand River for residents to enjoy nature’s beauty first hand.
There are many places to explore in Napoleon such as historical sites like Fort Custer Military Reservation where visitors can learn about military history or visit nearby Binder Park Zoo for an up-close look at exotic animals from around the world; or take a stroll through one of many nature trails like Waterloo State Recreation Area or Ella Sharp Park that offer great views of wildlife habitats while hiking or biking through the woods; or take in some local culture at one of many summer festivals like Summerfest Arts Festival or Maple Syrup Festival that bring together local artisans, vendors and entertainers each year.
Napoleon has something for everyone whether you’re looking for outdoor recreation opportunities like hiking trails or fishing spots along Grand River; educational attractions like Ella Sharp Museum & Historical Society; or shopping experiences at unique boutiques offering unique items you won’t find anywhere else – all just minutes away from downtown Napoleon.
Males: 629 (50.2%), Females: 625 (49.8%)
Median resident age: 33.7 years
Median household income: $39,737
Median house value: $90,600
Races in Napoleon:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.3%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
Ancestries: German (40.0%), English (10.8%), United States (10.7%), Irish (9.7%), Dutch (9.5%), Norwegian (5.3%).
Elevation: 962 feet
Land area: 2.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Napoleon
- High school or higher: 86.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Napoleon CDP
- Never married: 26.0%
- Now married: 48.6%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 17.2%
0.6% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Napoleon:
- W A FOOTE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; JACKSON, MI)
- DOCTORS HOSPITAL OF JACKSON (about 14 miles; JACKSON, MI)
- CHELSEA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; CHELSEA, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Napoleon:
- CAPITAL CITY (about 48 miles; LANSING, MI; Abbreviation: LAN)
- TOLEDO EXPRESS (about 51 miles; TOLEDO, OH; Abbreviation: TOL)
- WILLOW RUN (about 51 miles; DETROIT, MI; Abbreviation: YIP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Napoleon:
- NAPOLEON (about 1 miles; NAPOLEON, MI; Abbreviation: 3NP)
- WOLF LAKE (about 4 miles; NAPOLEON, MI; Abbreviation: 26W)
- SHAMROCK FLD (about 6 miles; BROOKLYN, MI; Abbreviation: 6G8)
Amtrak station near Napoleon:
- 13 miles: JACKSON (501 E. MICHIGAN AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Napoleon:
- JACKSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 12 miles; JACKSON, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,756)
- SPRING ARBOR UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; SPRING ARBOR, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,266)
- WASHTENAW COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 30 miles; ANN ARBOR, MI; Full-time enrollment: 5,436)
- LANSING COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 31 miles; LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,454)
- UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN-ANN ARBOR (about 38 miles; ANN ARBOR, MI; Full-time enrollment: 35,684)
- MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; EAST LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 38,639)
- EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; YPSILANTI, MI; Full-time enrollment: 17,476)
Public high school in Napoleon:
- NAPOLEON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 502; Location: 201-21 WEST AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Napoleon:
- EZRA EBY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 717; Location: 220 WEST AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- NAPOLEON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 404; Location: 204 WEST AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 08)