According to Whicheverhealth, Moose Pass, Alaska is a small and picturesque unincorporated community located in the Kenai Peninsula Borough of south central Alaska. It is situated on the shore of Trail Lake, approximately 65 miles south of Anchorage. Moose Pass is known for its breathtaking scenery and outdoor recreation opportunities.
The town was named after an old trapper and prospector named John “Moose Pass” Johnson who settled in the area in the late 1800s. The town was officially incorporated in 1911, making it one of the oldest settlements on the Kenai Peninsula.
The main industry in Moose Pass is tourism, with visitors coming from all over to take advantage of its incredible landscape and abundance of outdoor activities. In summer months, visitors can enjoy fishing, boating, swimming, kayaking and canoeing on nearby lakes or rivers. Hiking trails are abundant with an array of wildlife viewing opportunities such as bald eagles and moose as well as spectacular views of snow-capped mountains. Winter months bring snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing opportunities as well as ice fishing on nearby lakes or rivers.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Moose Pass also offers numerous shopping options such as local art galleries and souvenir shops where visitors can find handcrafted items from local artists or traditional Alaskan gifts to take home with them. There are also a few restaurants in town that serve up delicious meals featuring fresh seafood caught right off the coast or locally sourced produce from nearby farms.
The town itself has a unique charm that draws visitors year round with its rustic log cabins, small shops and friendly locals that make everyone feel welcome no matter where they come from. Moose Pass also has several public parks where visitors can enjoy picnics or just sit back and take in the beauty of nature all around them while they relax by Trail Lake or explore one of its many trails leading into the surrounding wilderness areas.
At only 1 square mile in size Moose Pass may be small but it packs a lot into its tiny size offering some truly incredible experiences to those who visit! From its stunning scenery to its abundance of outdoor activities there’s something for everyone here so if you’re looking for an unforgettable adventure then Moose Pass is definitely worth checking out.
Males: 124 (60.2%), Females: 82 (39.8%)
Zip code: 99631
Median resident age: 36.4 years
Median household income: $87,291
Median house value: $95,300
Races in Moose Pass:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.9%)
- American Indian (10.7%)
- Two or more races (5.3%)
- Black (1.5%)
Ancestries: English (13.1%), Norwegian (9.7%), Swedish (9.7%), German (9.2%), French Canadian (7.8%), Italian (6.3%).
Land area: 18.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Moose Pass
- High school or higher: 95.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 34.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Moose Pass CDP
- Never married: 9.9%
- Now married: 85.1%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.0%
- Divorced: 5.0%
7.8% Foreign born (7.8% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Moose Pass:
- PROVIDENCE SEWARD MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; SEWARD, AK)
- PROVIDENCE ALASKA MEDICAL CENTER (about 42 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
- ALASKA NATIVE MEDICAL CENTER, PHS (about 56 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Moose Pass:
- TED STEVENS ANCHORAGE INTL (about 60 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Abbreviation: ANC)
- KENAI MUNI (about 125 miles; KENAI, AK; Abbreviation: ENA)
- HOMER (about 154 miles; HOMER, AK; Abbreviation: HOM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Moose Pass:
- LAWING (about 9 miles; LAWING, AK; Abbreviation: 9Z9)
- SUMMIT LAKE (about 10 miles; MOOSE PASS, AK; Abbreviation: 52Z)
- QUARTZ CREEK (about 21 miles; COOPER LANDING, AK; Abbreviation: JLA)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Moose Pass:
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA ANCHORAGE (about 56 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Full-time enrollment: 9,453)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA FAIRBANKS (about 320 miles; FAIRBANKS, AK; Full-time enrollment: 5,034)
- PENINSULA COLLEGE (about 1992 miles; PORT ANGELES, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,374)
- WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 2031 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 11,889)
- WHATCOM COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 2034 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,656)
- SKAGIT VALLEY COLLEGE (about 2049 miles; MT VERNON, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,420)
- EVERGREEN STATE COLLEGE (about 2050 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,749)
Public primary/middle school in Moose Pass:
- MOOSE PASS SCHOOL (Students: 35; Location: PO BOX 46; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Moose Pass:
- MOOSE PASS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $4,855; Location: DEPOT ROAD & SEWARD HIGHWAY; 4,641 books; 179 audio materials; 306 video materials; 2 serial subscriptions)