According to Whicheverhealth, Montezuma, Kansas is a small town located in the south-central part of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Arkansas River and is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. The town has a population of around 500 people and was founded in 1883.
The town was named after Montezuma, a legendary Aztec ruler who fought against Spanish conquistadors in the 16th century. Although it has a rich history, it is relatively unknown outside of its own community. Montezuma is most famous for its annual rodeo held each summer at the Montezuma Rodeo Grounds. The rodeo features bull riding, barrel racing, calf roping, steer wrestling, and other traditional rodeo events.
Montezuma also has a number of small businesses including restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores and even a local winery. It also has two churches – First United Methodist Church and St. Thomas Catholic Church – as well as an elementary school that serves students from kindergarten through sixth grade.
The town’s main attraction is its beautiful scenery; it’s known for its lush green pastures surrounded by rugged hillsides and wildflowers that bloom in the springtime. Just outside of town lies Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge which offers visitors an opportunity to observe some of Kansas’ most fascinating wildlife such as bison, elk, deer and wild turkeys.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Montezuma may be small but it offers many outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, hunting and hiking along with unique attractions like historic sites like Fort Larned National Historic Site which was once home to over 1,500 soldiers during the Indian Wars or Monument Rocks which are ancient sandstone formations created when water eroded away softer rock leaving behind these unique geological features that have been here since prehistoric times..
Montezuma may be small but it offers big opportunities for those looking for peace and quiet in an area filled with natural beauty; from fishing on the Arkansas River to exploring Monument Rocks this little town has something for everyone.
Population: 966. Estimated population in July 2020: 964 (-0.2% change)
Males: 429 (44.4%), Females: 537 (55.6%)
Zip code: 67867
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $36,719
Median house value: $68,000
Races in Montezuma:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.4%)
- Hispanic (9.2%)
- Other race (3.7%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (29.3%), United States (12.7%), Dutch (9.9%), Polish (5.7%), Russian (4.0%), Irish (3.4%).
Elevation: 2785 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Montezuma
- High school or higher: 55.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 5.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montezuma city
- Never married: 15.8%
- Now married: 72.4%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 4.6%
11.6% Foreign born (11.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +118 (+13.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Montezuma:
- MEADE DISTRICT HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; MEADE, KS)
- WESTERN PLAINS MEDICAL COMPLEX (about 31 miles; DODGE CITY, KS)
- MINNEOLA DISTRICT HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; MINNEOLA, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montezuma:
- GARDEN CITY REGIONAL (about 30 miles; GARDEN CITY, KS; Abbreviation: GCK)
- DODGE CITY REGIONAL (about 36 miles; DODGE CITY, KS; Abbreviation: DDC)
- LIBERAL MUNI (about 53 miles; LIBERAL, KS; Abbreviation: LBL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montezuma:
- MONTEZUMA MUNICIPAL (about 2 miles; MONTEZUMA, KS; Abbreviation: K17)
- CIMARRON MUNI (about 17 miles; CIMARRON, KS; Abbreviation: 8K8)
- INGALLS MUNI (about 22 miles; INGALLS, KS; Abbreviation: 30K)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montezuma:
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 118 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 127 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 177 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 186 miles; WEATHERFORD, OK; Full-time enrollment: 4,360)
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 194 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 205 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 10,403)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 207 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
Public high school in Montezuma:
- SOUTH GRAY HIGH (Students: 85; Location: 101 S AZTEC; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Montezuma:
- MONTEZUMA ELEM (Students: 119; Location: 103 W. SUNNYSIDE; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Montezuma:
- MONTEZUMA TOWNSHIP LIBRARY (Operating income: $17,313; Location: 309 N AZTEC; 16,727 books; 234 audio materials; 235 video materials; 4 serial subscriptions)