According to Whicheverhealth, Mesa, Washington is a small unincorporated community located in Grant County in the eastern part of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Columbia River, just north of the city of Moses Lake. The area is known for its breathtaking views and stunning sunsets. With a population of just over 500 people, Mesa provides an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
The town was founded in 1879 by settlers who were looking to find a place to settle after traveling from Missouri. At that time, there were no roads or bridges connecting Mesa to Moses Lake or anywhere else, so it wasn’t until 1883 that a road was built connecting Mesa with Moses Lake and other nearby towns.
The town is home to several different businesses such as restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, and auto repair shops. There are also two churches in town: St. Mary’s Catholic Church and First Baptist Church. The local school district serves students from kindergarten through 8th grade with high school students attending either Moses Lake High School or Wahluke High School in nearby Mattawa.
According to Topbbacolleges, Mesa has an active agricultural industry with farmers growing wheat, corn, hay and other crops in the area’s fertile soil. The area also features some great outdoor recreational activities including fishing and hunting on nearby lakes as well as camping at local campsites along the Columbia River.
Life in Mesa is relaxed and peaceful with neighbors often gathering for potlucks or barbeques on weekends during the summer months when temperatures are milder than during winter months when temperatures can dip down into single digits at night. Despite its small size, Mesa has plenty to offer those looking for an escape from big city life while still having access to all their favorite amenities close by including shopping centers, movie theaters and golf courses within a short drive away from town.
Overall, Mesa is a great place to live if you’re looking for some peace and quiet away from it all while still having access to all your favorite amenities close by.
Population: 425. Estimated population in July 2020: 425 (0.0% change)
Males: 218 (51.3%), Females: 207 (48.7%)
Zip code: 99343
Median resident age: 22.4 years
Median household income: $38,750
Median house value: $57,000
Races in Mesa:
- Hispanic (59.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (38.6%)
- Other race (28.2%)
- Two or more races (11.8%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (9.2%), United States (4.9%), Norwegian (4.2%), Irish (4.0%), English (3.1%).
Elevation: 710 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Mesa
- High school or higher: 42.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.1%
- Unemployed: 11.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mesa city
- Never married: 27.8%
- Now married: 64.4%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 3.0%
- Divorced: 4.1%
39.1% Foreign born (37.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +203 (+91.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mesa:
- OTHELLO COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; OTHELLO, WA)
- LOURDES MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; PASCO, WA)
- KENNEWICK GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; KENNEWICK, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mesa:
- TRI-CITIES (about 24 miles; PASCO, WA; Abbreviation: PSC)
- GRANT CO INTL (about 49 miles; MOSES LAKE, WA; Abbreviation: MWH)
- WALLA WALLA REGIONAL (about 61 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Abbreviation: ALW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mesa:
- OTHELLO MUNI (about 15 miles; OTHELLO, WA; Abbreviation: S70)
- NEW WARDEN (about 27 miles; WARDEN, WA; Abbreviation: 2S4)
- RICHLAND (about 29 miles; RICHLAND, WA; Abbreviation: RLD)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mesa:
- COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE (about 23 miles; PASCO, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 96 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
- EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 107 miles; LA GRANDE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,192)
- WENATCHEE VALLEY COLLEGE (about 109 miles; WENATCHEE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,074)
- YAKIMA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 109 miles; YAKIMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,906)
- CENTRAL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 110 miles; ELLENSBURG, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,420)
Public primary/middle schools in Mesa:
- BASIN CITY ELEM (Students: 399; Location: 303 BAILIE BOULEVARD; Grades: KG – 06)
- MESA ELEM (Students: 170; Location: 200 PEPIOT ROAD; Grades: KG – 06)