According to homethodology.com, Medford, Massachusetts is a beautiful city located in Middlesex County. It is part of the Greater Boston Area and is home to a population of approximately 57,000 people. Medford is situated along the Mystic River and lies just six miles northwest of downtown Boston.
The city was first settled in 1630 by Puritan colonists from England and was officially incorporated as a town in 1892. Medford has a rich history that spans more than three centuries and includes many notable sites, such as the Salem Witch Trials Judge Jonathan Corwin House, the Cradock Bridge, and Fitchburg Railroad Station.
Medford has a vibrant culture that includes diverse restaurants, galleries, shops and entertainment venues. The city’s downtown area features several unique boutiques along with popular chain stores such as Target and Best Buy. There are also museums, theaters, art galleries, parks and recreation centers to explore in Medford.
The city’s educational system consists of five public schools: Medford High School (grades 9-12), Brooks Elementary School (K-8), McGlynn Middle School (5-8), Columbus Elementary School (K-4) and Tufts University (4 year college). Tufts University is one of the most prestigious universities in the country with its highly ranked programs in medicine, engineering and science.
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Medford also offers plenty of outdoor activities for residents to enjoy including cycling on the Mystic River Greenway Trail or hiking at Middlesex Fells Reservation or Spot Pond Reservation. For those looking for more adventure they can take part in sailing at Wright’s Pond or ice skating at McLean Arena.
Overall, Medford offers something for everyone whether they are looking for a rich cultural experience or outdoor fun activities. With its convenient location to downtown Boston it makes it easy for residents to access all that Boston has to offer while still maintaining their own unique identity as part of this historic city.
Population: 55,765. Estimated population in July 2020: 53,523 (-4.0% change)
Males: 26,133 (46.9%), Females: 29,632 (53.1%)
Median resident age: 37.5 years
Median household income: $52,476
Median house value: $226,800
Races in Medford:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.0%)
- Black (6.1%)
- Hispanic (2.6%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- Chinese (1.6%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- Vietnamese (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (31.2%), Irish (25.6%), English (7.8%), German (3.8%), United States (3.2%), West Indian (3.0%).
Elevation: 14 feet
Land area: 8.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Medford
- High school or higher: 85.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 31.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.8%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Medford city
- Never married: 37.1%
- Now married: 45.9%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 7.1%
16.2% Foreign born (6.6% Europe, 5.2% Latin America, 3.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,512 (-2.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Medford:
- CAMBRIDGE HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA)
- MT AUBURN HOSP (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA)
- STILLMAN INFIRMARY-HARVARD UNIV (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Medford:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 9 miles; BOSTON, MA; Abbreviation: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 13 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 42 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Medford:
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 17 miles; NORWOOD, MA; Abbreviation: OWD)
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 19 miles; BEVERLY, MA; Abbreviation: BVY)
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 21 miles; METHUEN, MA; Abbreviation: MA2)
Amtrak stations near Medford:
- 5 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 6 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 6 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Medford:
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 8,627; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.tufts.edu; Offers Doctor’s degree)
- LAWRENCE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING (Full-time enrollment: 131; Location: 170 GOVERNORS AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.lmregisnurse.org)
- ELIZABETH GRADY SCHOOL OF ESTHETICS (Full-time enrollment: 40; Location: 222 BOSTON AVENUE; Private, for-profit; Website: elizabethgrady.com)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Medford:
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,700)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 4 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 9,895)
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,638)
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 25,110)
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,122)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 5,291)
Public high schools in Medford:
- MEDFORD VOC TECH HIGH (Students: 250; Location: 489 WINTHROP STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CURTIS-TUFTS (Students: 33; Location: 437 MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Medford:
- NEW ENGLAND CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 49; Location: 30 SALEM STREET; Grades: 1 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Medford:
- MEDFORD HIGH (Students: 1,262; Location: 489 WINTHROP STREET; Grades: PK – 12)
- JOHN J MCGLYNN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,118; Location: 3002 MYSTIC VALLEY PKWY; Grades: PK – 08)
- MADELEINE DUGGER ANDREWS (Students: 586; Location: 3000 MYSTIC VALLEY PKWY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BROOKS SCHOOL (Students: 548; Location: 388 HIGH STREET; Grades: KG – 05)
- MILTON FULLER ROBERTS (Students: 515; Location: 35 COURT STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS (Students: 404; Location: 37 HICKS AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- JOHN J. MCGLYNN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Location: 3004 MYSTIC VALLEY PARKWAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Medford:
- ST JOHN SCHOOL (Students: 505; Location: 132 HIGH ST; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI SCHOOL (Students: 374; Location: 1 ST CLARE ROAD; Grades: KG – 8)
- ELIOT PEARSON CHILDREN’S SCHOO (Students: 67; Location: 105 COLLEGE AVENUE; Grades: PK – 2)
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER (Students: 57; Location: 3600 MYSTIC VALLEY PARKWAY; Grades: PK – KG)
- LITTLE RED SCHOOLHOUSE (Students: 44; Location: 273 MIDDLESEX AVENUE; Grades: PK – KG)
- OAKLAND PARK CHILDRENS CTR (Students: 22; Location: 29 OAKLAND STREET; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Medford:
- MEDFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,122,907; Location: 111 HIGH ST.; 169,741 books; 5,124 audio materials; 5,460 video materials; 289 serial subscriptions)