According to IAMACCEPTED, Meadville, Missouri is a small town located in Linn County in the northern part of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Grand River and has a population of approximately 400 people. The town was founded in 1836 and was named after its first settler, William Mead.
The town has a rich history that includes being home to the first newspaper in Linn County, as well as having a part in the Civil War by providing food for Confederate troops. Today, it is home to several historic sites such as the old schoolhouse, an old mill and an old Methodist church. It also serves as a reminder of life in rural Missouri during the early 20th century.
Meadville is an agriculturally based community that supports local farmers and businesses. The area is known for its abundance of wildlife, including deer, wild turkey, rabbits and quail. Fishing opportunities are abundant with nearby streams that contain bass, bluegill and catfish. There are also numerous hunting areas surrounding Meadville which offer opportunities for duck hunting during certain times of year.
The town also boasts several recreational activities such as camping at nearby Lake Contrary State Park or visiting one of many nearby golf courses or hiking trails. Other popular attractions include visiting local wineries or taking part in bird watching tours at Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area or fishing trips on Grand River.
In addition to outdoor activities, Meadville hosts different events throughout the year such as their annual Fourth of July celebration which includes fireworks over Lake Contrary State Park and live music from local bands; their annual summer festival which features craft vendors from around the area; their fall festival featuring pumpkin carving contests, hay rides and live music; their Christmas parade with floats featuring local organizations; and their spring festival with art shows, car shows, antique auctions and more!
According to Ezinesports, Meadville is a small but vibrant community that offers something for everyone! From outdoor activities to festivals to historical sites to shopping opportunities – there’s something here for everyone.
Population: 457. Estimated population in July 2020: 443 (-3.1% change)
Males: 210 (46.0%), Females: 247 (54.0%)
Zip code: 64659
Median resident age: 37.1 years
Median household income: $32,841
Median house value: $41,100
Races in Meadville:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.5%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
Ancestries: United States (21.0%), German (15.1%), English (9.6%), Irish (8.3%), Dutch (3.3%), French (2.2%).
Elevation: 756 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Meadville
- High school or higher: 87.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Meadville city
- Never married: 17.0%
- Now married: 63.2%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 12.4%
- Divorced: 6.8%
1.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +98 (+27.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Meadville:
- HEDRICK MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; CHILLICOTHE, MO)
- PERSHING MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; BROOKFIELD, MO)
- WRIGHT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; TRENTON, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Meadville:
- KIRKSVILLE REGIONAL (about 57 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: IRK)
- CHARLES B. WHEELER DOWNTOWN (about 100 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MKC)
- COLUMBIA REGIONAL (about 101 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Abbreviation: COU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Meadville:
- CHILLICOTHE MUNI (about 13 miles; CHILLICOTHE, MO; Abbreviation: CHT)
- NORTH CENTRAL MISSOURI REGIONAL (about 21 miles; BROOKFIELD, MO; Abbreviation: MO8)
- TRENTON MUNI (about 29 miles; TRENTON, MO; Abbreviation: TRX)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Meadville:
- TRUMAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,922)
- GRACELAND UNIVERSITY-LAMONI (about 74 miles; LAMONI, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- CENTRAL MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; Warrensburg, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,957)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,998)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 98 miles; LEES SUMMIT, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,576)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY (about 102 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,830)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGES (about 103 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,259)
Public high school in Meadville:
- MEADVILLE HIGH (Students: 126; Location: 101 W CRANDALL; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Meadville:
- MEADVILLE ELEM. (Students: 128; Location: 101 W CRANDALL; Grades: KG – 06)