According to foodezine, Martin, Michigan is a small village located in Allegan County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The village is situated along the banks of the Rabbit River and is surrounded by rolling hills and forests. It is approximately 15 miles south of Grand Rapids and about 20 miles east of Kalamazoo.
Martin was founded in 1836 by settlers from Ohio and Indiana, who were drawn to the area for its fertile soil, abundant timber, and plentiful water supply from the Rabbit River. The village was named for William Martin, one of its first settlers. In 1866, Martin was incorporated as a village with a population of around 500 people.
Today, Martin has a population of about 1,200 people and covers an area of 2 square miles. It has retained much of its rural charm over the years while still offering modern amenities such as grocery stores, gas stations, banks, restaurants and other businesses that help make it a desirable place to live.
The village also boasts several parks including Riverside Park which features picnic shelters and playground equipment as well as a boat launch on the Rabbit River; Martin Town Park which offers tennis courts; and Pine Hill Park which has hiking trails winding through its wooded areas.
According to fun-wiki, one of Martin’s most popular attractions is Pine Hill Winery & Vineyards which produces award-winning wines from grapes grown on their estate vineyard located just outside town limits. The winery also offers tours and tastings throughout the year so visitors can sample their wines in a peaceful setting surrounded by nature’s beauty.
The local school district serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade with two elementary schools (Grades K-5), one middle school (Grades 6-8), one high school (Grades 9-12) and an alternative education program for at-risk students (Grades 7-12). There are also several churches within the community representing various denominations including Baptist, Catholic, Methodist and Presbyterian faiths among others.
Martin also hosts several annual events including a Fourth of July parade featuring floats made by local organizations; an annual fall festival featuring crafts; music; food; games; kids activities; fireworks displays; car shows; holiday parades for Halloween & Christmas; concerts in Riverside Park throughout summer months; plays at the local theater company during winter months & more! These events bring together residents from all over town to celebrate together with friends & family making it truly feel like home.
Population: 435. Estimated population in July 2020: 421 (-3.2% change)
Males: 221 (50.8%), Females: 214 (49.2%)
Zip code: 49070
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $41,389
Median house value: $90,300
Races in Martin:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.9%)
- Hispanic (2.8%)
- Other race (2.3%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (21.8%), Dutch (18.9%), English (12.6%), French (10.1%), Irish (8.7%), French Canadian (5.3%).
Elevation: 832 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Martin
- High school or higher: 79.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.5%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Martin village
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 4.4%
- Divorced: 10.8%
5.3% Foreign born (3.9% Latin America, 0.9% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: -52 (-10.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Martin:
- ALLEGAN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; ALLEGAN, MI)
- BRONSON METHODIST HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI)
- KALAMOZOO REGIONAL PSYCHIATRIC HOSP (about 19 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Martin:
- KALAMAZOO/BATTLE CREEK INTERNATIONAL (about 22 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; Abbreviation: AZO)
- GERALD R. FORD INTERNATIONAL (about 25 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Abbreviation: GRR)
- W K KELLOGG (about 32 miles; BATTLE CREEK, MI; Abbreviation: BTL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Martin:
- PLAINWELL MUNICIPAL (about 5 miles; PLAINWELL, MI; Abbreviation: 61D)
- CALKINS FIELD (about 11 miles; WAYLAND, MI; Abbreviation: 41C)
- PADGHAM FIELD (about 13 miles; ALLEGAN, MI; Abbreviation: 35D)
Amtrak station near Martin:
- 18 miles: KALAMAZOO (459 N. BURDICK ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Martin:
- KALAMAZOO VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; Full-time enrollment: 5,017)
- WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; Full-time enrollment: 23,132)
- CALVIN COLLEGE (about 28 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 4,148)
- AQUINAS COLLEGE (about 29 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,022)
- GRAND RAPIDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 30 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 7,590)
- KELLOGG COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; BATTLE CREEK, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,824)
- HOPE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; HOLLAND, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,918)
Private high school in Martin:
- EAST MARTIN CHRISTIAN HIGH (Students: 37; Location: 518 118TH AVENUE PO BOX 225; Grades: 9 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Martin:
- MARTIN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 410; Location: 1556 CHALMERS; Grades: 06 – 12)
- ROBERT D. BRANDON ELEM. SCHOOL (Students: 283; Location: UNIVERSITY & TEMPLETON STREETS; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Martin:
- EAST MARTIN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 133; Location: 516 118TH ST; Grades: 1 – 8)
Library in Martin:
- J. C. WHEELER PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $34,253; Location: 1593 SOUTH MAIN STREET; 19,897 books; 250 audio materials; 25 video materials; 40 serial subscriptions)