According to growtheology, Marshall, Texas is a town located in Harrison County in the northeastern part of the state. With a population of approximately 24,000, Marshall is the county seat and the largest city in Harrison County.
The city was founded in 1841 and named after Chief Justice of the United States John Marshall. Marshall is known for its historic downtown, which features many original 19th century buildings, including a courthouse designed by noted architect Alfred Giles. The city also has several museums and monuments that commemorate its past.
Marshall’s economy is based largely on manufacturing and healthcare services. It is home to several large companies such as Tyson Foods, Wal-Mart Distribution Center, and Cargill Meat Solutions. In addition to these industries, Marshall also has several small businesses that provide goods and services to the local community.
The city’s schools are served by two school districts: Marshall Independent School District (MISD) and Harrison County Consolidated Independent School District (HCCISD). MISD serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade while HCCISD serves students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Both districts offer a wide range of courses from basic education to advanced placement classes.
According to homethodology.com, Marshall boasts a variety of recreational activities for residents to enjoy year round. There are several parks located throughout the city including Camp Ford Historic Park, which features an outdoor amphitheater and walking trails; East Texas State Fairgrounds; and William B Travis State Park which offers camping sites as well as fishing ponds and hiking trails. Residents can also take advantage of nearby lakes such as Caddo Lake for fishing or boating activities or visit one of Marshall’s many golf courses for a round or two of golfing fun!
For culture lovers, Marshall offers plenty to explore with art galleries, performing arts centers, music venues, movie theaters, museums, libraries and more all within easy reach! The Grand Palace Theatre hosts live music performances while The Historic Jefferson Theatre puts on plays throughout the year in its restored 1800s theater building. Other cultural attractions include The Harrison County Historical Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers as well as historical documents dating back centuries ago!
Overall, there is no denying that Marshall Texas has something for everyone! With its rich history and culture combined with modern amenities like shopping centers and recreational activities it truly makes for an enjoyable place to live or visit.
Population: 23,935. Estimated population in July 2020: 24,006 (+0.3% change)
Males: 11,200 (46.8%), Females: 12,735 (53.2%)
Zip codes: 75670, 75672.
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $30,335
Median house value: $58,500
Races in Marshall:
- White Non-Hispanic (51.4%)
- Black (38.6%)
- Hispanic (8.6%)
- Other race (4.8%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (10.1%), Irish (6.0%), English (5.9%), German (4.8%), French (1.7%), Scotch-Irish (1.5%).
Land area: 29.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Marshall
- High school or higher: 75.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Marshall city
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 50.1%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 10.1%
5.3% Foreign born (4.3% Latin America, 0.7% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,008 (-4.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Marshall:
- MARSHALL REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (811 S WASHINGTON BOX 1599)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Marshall:
- GOOD SHEPHERD MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; LONGVIEW, TX)
- LONGVIEW REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 27 miles; LONGVIEW, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER-CARTHAGE (about 28 miles; CARTHAGE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Marshall:
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 26 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- SHREVEPORT REGIONAL (about 39 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Abbreviation: SHV)
- BARKSDALE AFB (about 50 miles; BOSSIER CITY, LA; Abbreviation: BAD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Marshall:
- HARRISON COUNTY (about 5 miles; MARSHALL, TX; Abbreviation: ASL)
- CYPRESS RIVER (about 14 miles; JEFFERSON, TX; Abbreviation: 24F)
- MANNING FIELD (about 19 miles; JEFFERSON, TX; Abbreviation: 6F7)
MARSHALL (FOOT OF N. WASHINGTON AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Marshall:
- EAST TEXAS BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 1,319; Location: 1209 N GROVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.etbu.edu)
- WILEY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 546; Location: 711 WILEY AVE; Private, not-for-profit)
- MARSHALL COLLEGE OF BEAUTY (Full-time enrollment: 36; Location: 2100 E END BLVD N; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Marshall:
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 37 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- BOSSIER PARISH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; BOSSIER CITY, LA; Full-time enrollment: 2,743)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 53 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,059)
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,217)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 67 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 74 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 88 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
Public high school in Marshall:
- MARSHALL H S (Students: 1,633; Location: 1900 MAVERICK DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Marshall:
- MARSHALL J H (Students: 904; Location: 700 W HOUSTON; Grades: 07 – 08)
- CROCKETT EL (Students: 561; Location: 700 JASPER; Grades: KG – 04)
- SAM HOUSTON MIDDLE (Students: 458; Location: 2905 E TRAVIS; Grades: 05 – 06)
- PRICE T YOUNG MIDDLE (Students: 403; Location: 1501 SANFORD; Grades: 05 – 06)
- WM B TRAVIS EL (Students: 342; Location: 300 W CAROLANNE; Grades: KG – 04)
- J H MOORE EL (Students: 331; Location: 2303 NORWOOD ST; Grades: KG – 04)
- SOUTH MARSHALL EL (Students: 316; Location: 1600 MEADOW; Grades: KG – 04)
- R E LEE EL (Students: 313; Location: 1315 CALLOWAY ST; Grades: KG – 04)
- WASHINGTON ECH CTR (Students: 284; Location: 1202 EVANS; Grades: PK – PK)
- G W CARVER EL (Students: 218; Location: 2302 HOLLAND ST; Grades: KG – 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Marshall:
- TRINITY EPISCOPAL SCHOOL (Students: 220; Location: 2905 ROSEBOROUGH SPRINGS ROAD; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST JOSEPHS CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Students: 36; Location: 2307 S GARRETT; Grades: PK – 6)
Library in Marshall:
- MARSHALL PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $359,325; Location: 300 S ALAMO BLVD; 62,543 books; 1,894 audio materials; 1,649 video materials; 152 serial subscriptions)