According to foodezine, Marquez, Texas is a small rural town located in Leon County, Texas. The population was 596 at the 2010 census. Marquez is situated in the rolling hills of East Central Texas and is surrounded by lush farmland and ranch land. The town is home to a variety of businesses, including a gas station, grocery store, post office, bank, and hardware store.
The town was founded in 1873 by Captain J.D Marquez who named it after himself. He had purchased the land from a local rancher and established a trading post on the site to serve local farmers and ranchers. In 1874 the first schoolhouse was built in Marquez. In 1895 Marquez was granted a post office which allowed for further development of the community.
According to fun-wiki, Marquez is located about 90 miles east of Dallas and about 30 minutes south of Palestine, Texas on U.S Highway 79. The city has several parks including Marquez Park and Community Park which feature playgrounds, picnic tables, and walking trails for visitors to enjoy. There are also two churches located within the city limits – First Baptist Church of Marquez and Calvary Baptist Church – both of which have been serving their respective congregations since the late 1800s.
The town has an annual Fourth of July celebration with fireworks displays that can be seen from miles away as well as live music performances throughout the day. Every year on Labor Day weekend there is an old-fashioned rodeo held in nearby Normangee that draws large crowds from all over Central Texas to watch bull riding competitions, barrel races, calf scrambles and more!
Marquez is also home to an array of wildlife such as deer, wild hogs, birds of prey, armadillos and many other species that make their homes here in this peaceful rural setting. This small East Texas town offers its residents quiet country living with easy access to larger cities for those who need it for work or recreational purposes such as shopping or entertainment options not available locally.
Marquez provides its residents with unique experiences that cannot be found anywhere else – from its friendly hometown atmosphere to its picturesque rolling hillsides providing beautiful views for miles around – this small East Texas town offers something special for everyone who calls it home.
Population: 220. Estimated population in July 2020: 233 (+5.9% change)
Males: 107 (48.6%), Females: 113 (51.4%)
Zip code: 77865
Median resident age: 40.7 years
Median household income: $18,333
Median house value: $44,300
Races in Marquez:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.7%)
- Hispanic (12.3%)
- Black (8.6%)
- Other race (8.2%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (25.5%), German (15.5%), Irish (14.5%), Scotch-Irish (4.1%), English (3.6%), French Canadian (1.4%).
Land area: 1.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Marquez
- High school or higher: 69.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Marquez city
- Never married: 14.3%
- Now married: 59.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 18.5%
- Divorced: 7.9%
5.5% Foreign born (4.1% Latin America, 1.4% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: -50 (-18.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Marquez:
- LIMESTONE MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; GROESBECK, TX)
- MADISON ST JOSEPH HEALTH CENTER (about 31 miles; MADISONVILLE, TX)
- PARKVIEW REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; MEXIA, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Marquez:
- EASTERWOOD FIELD (about 46 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Abbreviation: CLL)
- WACO REGIONAL (about 71 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: ACT)
- DRAUGHON-MILLER CENTRAL TEXAS REGIONAL (about 80 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Abbreviation: TPL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Marquez:
- TEAGUE MUNI (about 29 miles; TEAGUE, TX; Abbreviation: 68F)
- MADISONVILLE MUNI (about 32 miles; MADISONVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 51R)
- MEXIA-LIMESTONE CO (about 32 miles; MEXIA, TX; Abbreviation: LXY)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Marquez:
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Full-time enrollment: 41,117)
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 60 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-WACO (about 63 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,218)
- BAYLOR UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,183)
- MCLENNAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,658)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)