According to ablogtophone, Malden, Massachusetts is a city located in Middlesex County, just north of Boston. It was first settled in 1650 and incorporated as a town in 1649. With a population of 60,000, Malden is the 7th largest municipality in Massachusetts.
Malden is a diverse city with a large immigrant population. It is home to many different cultures and religions and boasts numerous restaurants that reflect this diversity. The city also has an active arts community, with galleries and theaters showcasing local talent.
The city has excellent public transportation options, making it easy to get around town or to nearby Boston. The MBTA Orange Line runs through Malden Center station and provides access to the rest of the Greater Boston area. There are also several bus routes that run through the city.
Malden has many parks and recreational areas for residents to enjoy. Fellsmere Pond Park offers a variety of activities such as fishing, swimming, boating, picnicking, and more. Other parks include Pine Banks Park which features trails for walking or biking; Linden Square which has basketball courts; and Forestdale Park which offers playgrounds and picnic areas.
The economy of Malden is largely based on healthcare services, technology companies such as IBM Watson Health, retail stores like Target and Walmart, restaurants like Legal Sea Foods, auto dealerships such as Herb Chambers Ford Lincoln Mercury Mazda dealership ,and banking institutions like Bank of America . The city also has an active business district with many small businesses including shops selling ethnic foods from around the world .
According to beautyphoon, Malden is a vibrant community with something for everyone – from its diverse culture to its excellent public transportation options – making it an ideal place to live for those looking for easy access to all that Greater Boston has to offer without losing its small-town charm.
Population: 56,340. Estimated population in July 2020: 55,871 (-0.8% change)
Males: 27,122 (48.1%), Females: 29,218 (51.9%)
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $45,654
Median house value: $176,100
Races in Malden:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.6%)
- Black (8.2%)
- Chinese (8.0%)
- Hispanic (4.8%)
- Two or more races (3.5%)
- Vietnamese (2.4%)
- Other race (2.1%)
- Asian Indian (1.7%)
- Other Asian (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (21.0%), Irish (21.0%), English (6.2%), French (3.5%), West Indian (3.2%), French Canadian (3.0%).
Elevation: 13 feet
Land area: 5.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Malden
- High school or higher: 83.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 26.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.9%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Malden city
- Never married: 34.9%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 8.4%
25.7% Foreign born (11.9% Asia, 7.1% Latin America, 4.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,429 (+4.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Malden:
- HALLMARK HEALTH SYSTEM (100 HOSPITAL ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Malden:
- QUIGLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; CHELSEA, MA)
- ERICH LINDEMANN MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA)
- MASSACHUSETTS EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Malden:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 7 miles; BOSTON, MA; Abbreviation: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 16 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 44 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Malden:
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 16 miles; BEVERLY, MA; Abbreviation: BVY)
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 19 miles; NORWOOD, MA; Abbreviation: OWD)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 21 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; Abbreviation: LWM)
Amtrak stations near Malden:
- 5 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 6 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 6 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Malden:
- BLAINE THE BEAUTY CAREER SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 141; Location: 347 PLEASANT ST; Private, for-profit; Website: [email protected])
- NEW ENGLAND HAIR ACADEMY (Full-time enrollment: 103; Location: 492-500 MAIN ST; Private, for-profit)
- LEARNING INSTITUTE FOR BEAUTY SCIENCES (Full-time enrollment: 47; Location: 384 MAIN ST; Private, for-profit; Website: LIBS.ORG)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Malden:
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; MEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 4 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,638)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 5 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 5,291)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 9,895)
- EMERSON COLLEGE (about 6 miles; Boston, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,697)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,700)
Public high school in Malden:
- MALDEN HIGH (Students: 1,558; Location: 77 SALEM STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Malden:
- MALDEN CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 667; Location: 99 CRYSTAL STREET; Grades: 9 – 12; Boys only)
Public primary/middle schools in Malden:
- SALEMWOOD (Students: 1,214; Location: 529 SALEM STREET; Grades: PK – 08)
- MYSTIC VALLEY REGIONAL CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 1,022; Location: 770 SALEM STREET; Grades: KG – 10)
- BEEBE (Students: 913; Location: 401 PLEASANT STREET; Grades: KG – 08)
- FERRYWAY (Students: 892; Location: 150 CROSS STREET; Grades: PK – 08)
- LINDEN (Students: 732; Location: 29 WESCOTT STREET; Grades: PK – 08)
- FORESTDALE (Students: 562; Location: 74 SYLVAN STREET; Grades: PK – 08)
- MALDEN ELC (Students: 264; Location: 257 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: PK – KG)
Private primary/middle schools in Malden:
- CHEVERUS ELEM (Students: 403; Location: 30 IRVING STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION ELEM SCH (Students: 336; Location: 306 HIGHLAND AVENUE; Grades: KG – 8)
- CHILDRENS CTR AT JEWISH COMM C (Students: 49; Location: 30 LAUREL STREET; Grades: PK – KG)
- HILLTOP SCHOOL (Students: 31; Location: 165 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Malden:
- MALDEN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,110,723; Location: 36 SALEM ST.; 290,107 books; 1,718 audio materials; 1,772 video materials; 281 serial subscriptions)