According to biotionary, Magdalena, New Mexico is a small town located in the heart of the Magdalena Mountains of the Southern Rocky Mountains in Socorro County. It is located about an hour’s drive south of Albuquerque and about two hours north of El Paso, Texas. The population was estimated to be around 600 people in 2020.
The town of Magdalena was founded in 1881 as a stop along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. It was named after a nearby mountain peak that reminded its founders of the biblical story of Mary Magdalene. The town grew quickly with the arrival of miners and ranchers who were drawn to the area for its abundance of natural resources such as timber, minerals, and water.
Today, Magdalena is an unincorporated community with a strong sense of pride in its heritage and culture. Its main street is lined with vintage buildings that reflect its rich history; many are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Popular attractions include historic sites like Old Town Hall, built in 1898; St Francis Church; and El Coronado Hotel which dates back to 1892.
According to bittranslators, the area surrounding Magdalena also has plenty to offer visitors including outdoor recreation activities such as camping, hiking, hunting and fishing at nearby Elephant Butte Lake State Park or at nearby Cibola National Forest. There are also several ranches offering horseback riding tours throughout the region.
For those looking for something more relaxed during their visit to Magdalena there are plenty of opportunities for shopping or dining at local restaurants featuring Mexican cuisine or American comfort food. There are also several art galleries showcasing local artists’ work as well as antiques stores offering unique finds from days gone by.
Magdalena is home to many festivals throughout the year including La Feria de San Felipe de Jesus which celebrates Mexican culture with music, dancing and traditional foods; Fiesta del Sol which celebrates Hispanic heritage through arts and crafts displays; and Oktoberfest featuring German beer tasting events along with traditional food vendors from around New Mexico and beyond.
Overall, Magdalena is a unique place that offers visitors a chance to experience small-town life while still having access to all sorts of amenities that make it an ideal destination for those looking for something different than what they can find in larger cities like Albuquerque or El Paso. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or simply want to explore all that this charming little town has to offer – you’ll find it here.
Population: 913. Estimated population in July 2020: 877 (-3.9% change)
Males: 434 (47.5%), Females: 479 (52.5%)
Zip code: 87825
Median resident age: 41.4 years
Median household income: $22,917
Median house value: $57,200
Races in Magdalena:
- Hispanic (48.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (40.3%)
- Other race (21.8%)
- American Indian (12.4%)
- Two or more races (5.0%)
- Black (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (9.0%), Irish (7.3%), English (6.7%), United States (3.5%), Scottish (2.2%), Scotch-Irish (1.9%).
Elevation: 6573 feet
Land area: 6.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Magdalena
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.2%
- Unemployed: 12.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Magdalena village
- Never married: 25.3%
- Now married: 50.9%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 12.7%
1.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +68 (+8.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Magdalena:
- SOCORRO GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; SOCORRO, NM)
- SIERRA VISTA HOSPITAL (about 67 miles; T OR C, NM)
- ACOMA CANONCITO LAQUNA PHS HOSPITAL (about 73 miles; SAN FIDEL, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Magdalena:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 78 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- HOLLOMAN AFB (about 118 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM; Abbreviation: HMN)
- SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL (about 127 miles; RUIDOSO, NM; Abbreviation: SRR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Magdalena:
- MAGDALENA (about 4 miles; MAGDALENA, NM; Abbreviation: N29)
- ALAMO NAVAJO (about 24 miles; ALAMO, NM; Abbreviation: 3N9)
- SOCORRO MUNI (about 25 miles; SOCORRO, NM; Abbreviation: ONM)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Magdalena:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 76 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 80 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 86 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 131 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-DONA ANA (about 131 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,380)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO (about 169 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,071)
- EL PASO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 174 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,127)
Public high school in Magdalena:
- MAGDALENA HIGH (Students: 116; Location: 200 DUGGINS DRIVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Magdalena:
- ALAMO NAVAJO SCHOOL (Students: 352; Location: HWY. 169, P.O. BOX 907; Grades: KG – 12)
- MAGDALENA ELEM (Students: 188; Location: 200 DUGGINS DRIVE; Grades: PK – 05)
- MAGDALENA MIDDLE (Students: 85; Location: 200 DUGGINS DRIVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Magdalena:
- MAGDALENA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $6,878; Location: 108 N. MAIN STREET; 12,947 books; 33 audio materials; 186 video materials; 14 serial subscriptions)