According to growtheology, Lovington, New Mexico is a small city located in the southeastern corner of the state. It is situated in Lea County and is known as the “Heart of the High Plains.” The population of Lovington was 8,619 in 2019.
The area was originally settled by the Comanche and Apache Indians before being colonized by Spanish explorers in 1583. In 1891, it became an official town and was named after two early settlers, William Loving and John Loving.
Lovington has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters. Temperatures range from lows of 21 degrees Fahrenheit to highs of 90 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year. It receives an average of 14 inches of rain annually, making it one of the driest places in New Mexico.
The economy in Lovington is largely based on agriculture, oil and gas production. Major crops grown here include cotton, sorghum, corn, wheat, alfalfa and vegetables. The city also has an active oil industry that provides jobs to many residents.
One popular attraction in Lovington is the Lea County Events Center which hosts rodeos as well as other events such as concerts and trade shows throughout the year. There are also several museums and historic sites located around town including Pioneer Park Museum which displays artifacts from early settlers in the area as well as a replica school house from 1895.
According to homethodology.com, the city has several parks where locals can enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, biking or picnicking with friends or family members. The parks also provide playgrounds for children so they can have fun while their parents relax nearby or take advantage of some great fishing opportunities at nearby lakes or rivers such as Oasis State Park or Ute Lake State Park both located about 30 minutes away from town center by car.
In addition to its outdoor offerings, Lovington offers plenty of shopping opportunities at its local stores ranging from clothing boutiques to antique shops to grocery stores offering fresh produce for purchase every day. There are also many restaurants serving up delicious meals for hungry visitors to enjoy including Mexican cuisine which is especially popular here due to its close proximity to Mexico’s border with Texas just south of town center .
Overall, Lovington provides a unique mix of small-town charm with its rural atmosphere coupled with big-city amenities like shopping malls and restaurants making it a great place to visit or call home.
Population: 9,471. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,603 (+1.4% change)
Males: 4,658 (49.2%), Females: 4,813 (50.8%)
Zip code: 88260
Median resident age: 30.6 years
Median household income: $26,458
Median house value: $45,700
Races in Lovington:
- Hispanic (52.1%)
- White Non-Hispanic (43.3%)
- Other race (32.7%)
- Two or more races (3.1%)
- Black (3.0%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (9.5%), German (4.9%), English (4.6%), Irish (4.0%).
Elevation: 3210 feet
Land area: 4.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Lovington
- High school or higher: 57.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 9.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lovington city
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 10.3%
17.0% Foreign born (16.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +22 (+0.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Lovington:
- NOR LEA GENERAL HOSPITAL (1600 NORTH MAIN)
- NOR LEA GENERAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT (1600 NORTH MAIN)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Lovington:
- LEA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; HOBBS, NM)
- YOAKUM COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; DENVER CITY, TX)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 46 miles; SEMINOLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lovington:
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 21 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
- CAVERN CITY AIR TRML (about 75 miles; CARLSBAD, NM; Abbreviation: CNM)
- ROSWELL INDUSTRIAL AIR CENTER (about 85 miles; ROSWELL, NM; Abbreviation: ROW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lovington:
- LEA COUNTY-ZIP FRANKLIN MEMORIAL (about 4 miles; LOVINGTON, NM; Abbreviation: E06)
- TATUM (about 22 miles; TATUM, NM; Abbreviation: E07)
- EUNICE (about 36 miles; EUNICE, NM; Abbreviation: E04)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lovington:
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 80 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 84 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 97 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 108 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 116 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 142 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 172 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
Public high schools in Lovington:
- LOVINGTON HIGH (Students: 536; Location: 701 WEST AVENUE K; Grades: 10 – 12)
- NEW HOPE ALTER. H. (Students: 72; Location: 500 W. JEFFERSON; Grades: 09 – 12)
- LEA CY. DETENTION CN (Students: 11; Location: 215 E. CENTRAL; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Lovington:
- YARBRO ELEMENTARY (Students: 427; Location: 700 WEST JEFFERSON AVE.; Grades: 04 – 05)
- TAYLOR MID SCHOOL (Students: 426; Location: 700 SOUTH ELEVENTH STREE; Grades: 06 – 07)
- LOVINGTON JR HIGH (Students: 412; Location: 500 WEST JEFFERSON AVE.; Grades: 08 – 09)
- LLANO ELEMENTARY (Students: 328; Location: 1000 SOUTH FIRST; Grades: PK – KG)
- LEA ELEMENTARY (Students: 229; Location: 1100 WEST BIRCH AVENUE; Grades: 01 – 01)
- JEFFERSON ELEM (Students: 218; Location: 300 WEST JEFFERSON AVE.; Grades: 03 – 03)
- BEN ALEXANDER ELEM (Students: 204; Location: 1400 SOUTH SIXTH; Grades: 02 – 02)
Library in Lovington:
- LOVINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $218,950; Location: 115 SOUTH MAIN ST.; 53,331 books; 1,274 audio materials; 946 video materials; 51 serial subscriptions)