According to Health-beauty-guides, Lone, Kentucky is a small unincorporated community located in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains in Pike County. The town is situated on the banks of the Levisa Fork River, which flows through the area providing a beautiful backdrop to this rural area.
The population of Lone is estimated at around 300 people and it has remained relatively small and unchanged for many years. Its main street is lined with quaint shops and businesses, including a post office, a general store, and several churches. The town also has a few restaurants that serve traditional Appalachian cuisine such as fried chicken and hush puppies.
The locals in Lone are friendly and welcoming to visitors who come to enjoy the natural beauty of the area. There are plenty of outdoor activities nearby such as fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, and horseback riding. The nearby mountains provide stunning views that can be enjoyed from several scenic overlooks located throughout the area.
According to watchtutorials, Lone is home to several historic sites including an old grist mill that was built in 1819 by General John Hunt Morgan. The mill was used to grind corn for local farmers until it closed down in 1950 due to lack of business. A few other buildings from this era still stand today including an old schoolhouse from 1840 which was once used as a church during religious revivals held by local churches during the summer months.
In addition to its unique history and natural beauty, Lone also offers visitors plenty of opportunities for relaxation and recreation. There are several parks located around town offering picnic areas with grills and playgrounds for kids as well as basketball courts for those looking to get active outdoors. Local events like concerts at the park provide entertainment throughout the year while festivals like “Lone Days” offer fun activities like carnival rides and games every August.
Overall Lone is an ideal destination for anyone looking to experience small-town life in Appalachia without sacrificing comfort or convenience. Its close proximity to larger cities like Pikeville makes it easy for visitors to access cultural attractions or take advantage of shopping opportunities while still enjoying all that rural Kentucky has to offer.
Population: 454. Estimated population in July 2020: 439 (-3.3% change)
Males: 208 (45.8%), Females: 246 (54.2%)
Zip code: 42001
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $31,250
Median house value: $68,300
Races in Lone Oak:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.9%)
- Hispanic (4.2%)
- Other race (2.6%)
- Black (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.3%), German (11.9%), United States (11.7%), English (9.3%), French (4.4%), Italian (3.7%).
Land area: 0.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Lone Oak
- High school or higher: 83.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 16.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lone Oak city
- Never married: 27.9%
- Now married: 49.9%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 9.8%
5.3% Foreign born (3.5% Latin America, 1.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -3 (-0.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Lone Oak:
- LOURDES HOSP (about 3 miles; PADUCAH, KY)
- WESTERN BAPTIST HOSP (about 3 miles; PADUCAH, KY)
- MASSAC MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; METROPOLIS, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lone Oak:
- BARKLEY REGIONAL (about 8 miles; PADUCAH, KY; Abbreviation: PAH)
- WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL (about 55 miles; MARION, IL; Abbreviation: MWA)
- CAPE GIRARDEAU REGIONAL (about 64 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Abbreviation: CGI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lone Oak:
- WEST KENTUCKY AIRPARK (about 10 miles; PADUCAH, KY; Abbreviation: FIO)
- METROPOLIS MUNI (about 12 miles; METROPOLIS, IL; Abbreviation: M30)
- MAYFIELD GRAVES COUNTY (about 20 miles; MAYFIELD, KY; Abbreviation: M25)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lone Oak:
- MURRAY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; MURRAY, KY; Full-time enrollment: 7,676)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE-MARTIN (about 53 miles; MARTIN, TN; Full-time enrollment: 5,131)
- JOHN A LOGAN COLLEGE (about 58 miles; CARTERVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,255)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY-CARBONDALE (about 59 miles; CARBONDALE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 19,742)
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Full-time enrollment: 7,227)
- UNION UNIVERSITY (about 93 miles; JACKSON, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN INDIANA (about 96 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,510)