According to growtheology, Littlestown, Pennsylvania is a small borough located in Adams County, approximately one hour drive south of Harrisburg. It is situated at the southern end of the Cumberland Valley, just north of the Mason-Dixon Line. The population in 2020 was estimated to be 4,478.
The town was founded by John Little in 1760 and named after him. The area was originally part of Maryland until 1767 when it became part of Pennsylvania. Littlestown has a rich history and is home to many historic sites including the Littlestown Historic District which includes over 300 structures from the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
The town has a quaint downtown area that features a variety of restaurants, shops and businesses. There are also several parks, including Littlestown Community Park which offers playgrounds, basketball courts and picnic pavilions for residents to enjoy.
According to homethodology.com, Littlestown is home to several events throughout the year including an annual Christmas Parade and Festival of Lights, Easter Egg Hunt and Summer Concert Series. The town also hosts a number of activities for children such as kite flying contests and holiday celebrations like Fourth of July fireworks displays.
The borough has its own school district that consists of two elementary schools (Lincoln Elementary School and Washington Elementary School), one middle school (Buchanan Middle School) and one high school (Littlestown High School). The district serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade with an emphasis on creating an environment where students can excel academically while still having fun learning experiences outside the classroom through athletics and extracurricular activities such as band or chorus.
For those looking for higher education opportunities nearby, Gettysburg College is located only 15 minutes away in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania while Harrisburg Area Community College has campuses located throughout Adams County offering degree programs ranging from associate level to bachelor’s degrees in various disciplines such as business administration or nursing.
Residents enjoy living in Littlestown due to its small-town charm combined with easy access to larger cities like Harrisburg or Baltimore while still maintaining its rural atmosphere with plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities nearby like hiking trails or fishing spots at Lake Meade Park or Codorus State Park both located within 20 minutes drive time from town center. All these factors make Littlestown an ideal place for families looking for a safe place to raise children with plenty of educational opportunities close by as well as recreational activities within reach for everyone to enjoy.
Population: 3,947. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,131 (+4.7% change)
Males: 1,875 (47.5%), Females: 2,072 (52.5%)
Zip code: 17340
Median resident age: 34.2 years
Median household income: $36,678
Median house value: $107,000
Races in Littlestown:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.6%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Black (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (39.8%), Irish (12.0%), United States (8.8%), English (8.2%), Scotch-Irish (4.5%), Italian (4.2%).
Elevation: 635 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Littlestown
- High school or higher: 84.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Littlestown borough
- Never married: 22.9%
- Now married: 60.0%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 6.9%
2.1% Foreign born (0.9% Latin America, 0.4% Europe, 0.4% Africa, 0.3% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,015 (+34.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Littlestown:
- HANOVER GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; HANOVER, PA)
- GETTYSBURG HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA)
- CARROLL COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Littlestown:
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 39 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Abbreviation: MDT)
- HAGERSTOWN REGIONAL-RICHARD A HENSON FLD (about 44 miles; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Abbreviation: HGR)
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 50 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Littlestown:
- HANOVER (about 6 miles; HANOVER, PA; Abbreviation: 6W6)
- CARROLL COUNTY REGIONAL/JACK B POAGE FIELD (about 12 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD; Abbreviation: DMW)
- SOUTHERN ADAMS COUNTY (about 13 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; Abbreviation: P98)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Littlestown:
- GETTYSBURG COLLEGE (about 12 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,216)
- WESTERN MARYLAND COLLEGE (about 15 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,245)
- MESSIAH COLLEGE (about 29 miles; GRANTHAM, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,761)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 32 miles; FREDERICK, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,407)
- DICKINSON COLLEGE (about 33 miles; CARLISLE, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,098)
- SHIPPENSBURG UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 36 miles; SHIPPENSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,330)
- YORK COLLEGE PENNSYLVANIA (about 39 miles; YORK, PA; Full-time enrollment: 4,541)
Public high school in Littlestown:
- LITTLESTOWN SHS (Students: 767; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Littlestown:
- LITTLESTOWN CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 246; Location: 2075 FISH & GAME ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
- SHEKINAH CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 30; Location: 385 SELL STATION ROAD; Grades: 2 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Littlestown:
- ROLLING ACRES EL SCH (Students: 822; Grades: KG – 04)
- MAPLE AVENUE MS (Students: 789; Grades: 05 – 08)
- ALLOWAY CREEK INTRMD SCH (Grades: 00 – 00)
Private primary/middle school in Littlestown:
- HANOVER MENNONITE SCHOOL (Students: 52; Location: 760 LINE RD; Grades: 1 – 9)