According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Little Mountain is a small town in South Carolina, located in the heart of the Midlands region. It is situated at an elevation of 639 feet and has a population of just over 2,000 people. Little Mountain sits nestled between two larger towns, Newberry and Prosperity, and is home to a number of charming attractions.
The centerpiece of Little Mountain is the historic district which features the Little Mountain Academy Building, the First Baptist Church, and several other buildings that date back to the 1800s. The area has been designated as a National Historic District by the National Register of Historic Places and contains many interesting artifacts from its past. Visitors are welcomed to explore these buildings and take in their history.
Another attraction in Little Mountain is South Carolina’s oldest fairground – The Little Mountain Fairgrounds. This fairground dates back to 1820 when it was established as an agricultural exposition for local farmers to showcase their products. Today it still serves as a venue for festivals and events such as music concerts, antique shows, car shows, and more.
According to Topbbacolleges, Little Mountain also boasts some beautiful parks where visitors can enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking trails, fishing ponds, picnic areas, tennis courts, playgrounds, basketball courts and more. One popular spot is Newberry County Park which offers camping sites with access to boat ramps on Lake Murray. Visitors can also take advantage of nearby golf courses or visit one of the many wineries located nearby for some tastings or tours!
If you’re looking for some unique shopping opportunities then head over to downtown Little Mountain where you’ll find an array of quaint shops offering antiques, craftsman items and local artisans’ work. You can also find plenty of eateries serving up delicious comfort food including BBQ joints like Smoky Joe’s Bar-B-Q or Southern favorites like Mama Lou’s Kitchen & Bakery.
Little Mountain is full of history and charm that make it an ideal destination for visitors looking for something different from what they might find in larger cities around South Carolina. With its scenic beauty, abundance of outdoor activities and friendly atmosphere this small town will surely make your trip memorable.
Population: 255. Estimated population in July 2020: 259 (+1.6% change)
Males: 124 (48.6%), Females: 131 (51.4%)
Zip code: 29075
Median resident age: 41.6 years
Median household income: $34,063
Median house value: $88,300
Races in Little Mountain:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.7%)
- Black (12.9%)
Ancestries: German (28.6%), United States (11.8%), English (11.0%), Irish (7.8%), Scottish (3.1%), French (2.7%).
Elevation: 610 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Little Mountain
- High school or higher: 82.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 23.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.6%
- Unemployed: 0.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Little Mountain town
- Never married: 16.4%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 6.3%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 6.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -42 (-14.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Little Mountain:
- NEWBERRY COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; NEWBERRY, SC)
- FAIRFIELD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; WINNSBORO, SC)
- LEXINGTON MEDICAL CENTER (about 27 miles; WEST COLUMBIA, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Little Mountain:
- COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN (about 28 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Abbreviation: CAE)
- MC ENTIRE ANGS (about 48 miles; EASTOVER, SC; Abbreviation: MMT)
- SHAW AFB (about 68 miles; SUMTER, SC; Abbreviation: SSC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Little Mountain:
- NEWBERRY COUNTY (about 17 miles; NEWBERRY, SC; Abbreviation: 27J)
- FAIRFIELD COUNTY (about 23 miles; WINNSBORO, SC; Abbreviation: FDW)
- CORPORATE (about 31 miles; PELION, SC; Abbreviation: 6J0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Little Mountain:
- MIDLANDS TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 30 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,958)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT COLUMBIA (about 31 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 19,682)
- BENEDICT COLLEGE (about 31 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,880)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 48 miles; AIKEN, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,636)
- PIEDMONT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 52 miles; GREENWOOD, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,406)
- LANDER UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,429)
- YORK TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 57 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,221)
Public primary/middle school in Little Mountain:
- LITTLE MOUNTAIN ELEMENTARY (Students: 290; Location: 692 MILL STREET; Grades: KG – 05)