According to foodezine, Lewellen, Nebraska is a small town located in the southwestern part of the state. It is situated in Garden County, approximately 30 miles east of North Platte. The population of Lewellen is just under 600 people, with a median age of 41 years old.
The town consists mostly of single-family homes, but there are also some businesses and farms scattered throughout the area. The main street running through Lewellen is lined with charming shops and restaurants. There are also a few churches and schools in the area, providing educational opportunities for local children.
The landscape surrounding Lewellen is mostly flat farmland with occasional hills and valleys. The nearby Niobrara River runs through the area and provides some recreational activities like fishing and boating. In addition to the river, there are several parks nearby that offer hiking trails, picnic areas, playgrounds, and other outdoor activities for residents to enjoy.
Lewellen has a tight-knit community that loves to come together for various events throughout the year. On summer evenings you can often find locals gathered at one of the many parks around town for an impromptu barbecue or game night. During winter months they often gather at one of the local churches or schools to celebrate Christmas or New Year’s Eve with music and dancing.
According to fun-wiki, Lewellen also offers plenty of opportunities for entertainment outside of town as well. North Platte is just a short drive away where you can find shopping centers, movie theaters, museums, and more attractions to explore on your day off from work or school.
Overall Lewellen is an excellent place to live if you’re looking for small-town living in Nebraska’s heartland region. It has everything you need within its own borders while still being close enough to bigger cities so that you don’t have to travel far for additional amenities if desired. The friendly atmosphere combined with all that it has to offer makes it an ideal place for families or anyone looking for a peaceful life away from hectic city life.
Population: 282. Estimated population in July 2020: 244 (-13.5% change)
Males: 125 (44.3%), Females: 157 (55.7%)
Zip code: 69147
Median resident age: 57.4 years
Median household income: $19,191
Median house value: $27,900
Races in Lewellen:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.0%)
- American Indian (2.1%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Black (1.1%)
- Filipino (1.1%)
- Other race (1.1%)
Ancestries: German (38.7%), Irish (20.6%), English (10.6%), Scotch-Irish (4.6%), Swedish (4.6%), United States (4.3%).
Elevation: 3315 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Lewellen
- High school or higher: 79.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 11.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lewellen village
- Never married: 20.9%
- Now married: 41.3%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 20.1%
- Divorced: 16.5%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -23 (-7.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Lewellen:
- GARDEN COUNTY HOSPITAL & NURSING HOME (about 15 miles; OSHKOSH, NE)
- SEDGWICK COUNTY MEM HOSP – CAH (about 29 miles; JULESBURG, CO)
- OGALLALA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 35 miles; OGALLALA, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lewellen:
- ALLIANCE MUNI (about 68 miles; ALLIANCE, NE; Abbreviation: AIA)
- NORTH PLATTE RGNL AIRPORT LEE BIRD FIELD (about 103 miles; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Abbreviation: LBF)
- WESTERN NEB. RGNL/WILLIAM B. HEILIG FIELD (about 107 miles; SCOTTSBLUFF, NE; Abbreviation: BFF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lewellen:
- GARDEN COUNTY (about 15 miles; OSHKOSH, NE; Abbreviation: OKS)
- JULESBURG MUNI (about 28 miles; JULESBURG, CO; Abbreviation: 7V8)
- BILLY G RAY FIELD (about 28 miles; CHAPPELL, NE; Abbreviation: CNP)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lewellen:
- CHADRON STATE COLLEGE (about 118 miles; CHADRON, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN COLORADO (about 189 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 10,983)
- METROPOLITAN STATE COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 191 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 12,938)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT DENVER (about 191 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 8,839)
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER (about 191 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,592)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 191 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,352)
- ARAPAHOE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 191 miles; LITTLETON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,666)
Public primary/middle schools in Lewellen:
- LEWELLEN PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 55; Grades: PK – 08)
- WELL VALLEY PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 8; Grades: PK – 08)
Library in Lewellen:
- LEWELLEN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $6,781; Location: 208 MAIN STREET; 6,382 books; 57 audio materials; 167 video materials; 17 serial subscriptions)