According to Ezinesports, Leon, Kansas is a small rural town located in the northeastern part of the state. It is situated in the rolling hills of the Flint Hills, and it is known for its wide open spaces and stunning natural beauty. The town itself has a population of just over 200 people and covers an area of less than 1.5 square miles.
Leon was founded in 1879 when two brothers purchased land from a railroad company and started a cattle operation. They named the town after their father, Leonidas, who had served with distinction during the Civil War. The town grew slowly but steadily over the next few decades as more settlers arrived to take advantage of its fertile soil for farming and ranching purposes.
The local economy is largely based on agriculture, with corn, soybeans and wheat being some of the major crops grown here. There are also several small businesses located within Leon that provide goods and services to local residents such as grocery stores, gas stations, auto repair shops and general stores.
The town has a few attractions to draw visitors from outside its borders including two historic churches built in 1883 that are still actively used for services today as well as a museum dedicated to preserving local history. There are also plenty of outdoor activities available such as fishing in one of the many nearby lakes or hunting deer or turkey on one of the many farms located throughout Leon’s countryside.
According to Fashionissupreme, Leon offers an attractive quality of life to those who call it home due to its quiet atmosphere and close-knit community spirit that makes it feel like home no matter where you come from or how long you stay here. Residents enjoy taking part in events such as Leon’s annual Harvest Festival or attending summer concerts at one of their two parks each year. They also take pride in their schools which offer excellent academic opportunities for students ranging from elementary through high school levels.
Overall, Leon is an idyllic small town that offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for a peaceful place to live or just want to experience some good old-fashioned Midwestern hospitality while exploring all this charming community has to offer.
Population: 645. Estimated population in July 2020: 648 (+0.5% change)
Males: 304 (47.1%), Females: 341 (52.9%)
Zip code: 67074
Median resident age: 32.8 years
Median household income: $40,089
Median house value: $51,200
Races in Leon:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.5%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- American Indian (3.9%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (15.0%), German (12.6%), Irish (7.9%), English (5.1%), French (2.2%), Danish (1.9%).
Elevation: 1350 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Leon
- High school or higher: 84.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Leon city
- Never married: 19.7%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 13.6%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -60 (-8.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Leon:
- SUSAN B ALLEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; EL DORADO, KS)
- AUGUSTA MEDICAL COMPLEX INC (about 14 miles; AUGUSTA, KS)
- VIA CHRISTI REHABILITATION CENTER INC (about 32 miles; WICHITA, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Leon:
- MC CONNELL AFB (about 34 miles; WICHITA, KS; Abbreviation: IAB)
- WICHITA MID-CONTINENT (about 44 miles; WICHITA, KS; Abbreviation: ICT)
- HUTCHINSON MUNI (about 78 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Abbreviation: HUT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Leon:
- CAPTAIN JACK THOMAS/EL DORADO (about 6 miles; EL DORADO, KS; Abbreviation: EQA)
- PATTY FIELD (about 8 miles; EL DORADO, KS; Abbreviation: 9K6)
- AUGUSTA MUNI (about 20 miles; AUGUSTA, KS; Abbreviation: 3AU)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Leon:
- BUTLER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; EL DORADO, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,250)
- FRIENDS UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,983)
- COWLEY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; ARKANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,392)
- WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 10,403)
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; EMPORIA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,528)
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 83 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 105 miles; MANHATTAN, KS; Full-time enrollment: 19,210)
Public high school in Leon:
- BLUESTEM HIGH (Students: 235; Location: 500 BLUESTEM DRIVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Leon:
- BLUESTEM-LEON ELEM (Students: 315; Location: 501 MILL ROAD; Grades: KG – 06)
- BLUESTEM MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 117; Location: 625 MILL ROAD; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Leon:
- LEON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $4,358; Location: 113 SOUTH MAIN; 7,024 books; 30 audio materials; 6 video materials)