According to foodezine, Lamar, South Carolina is a small town in Darlington County with a population of just over 1,000. Located in the Pee Dee region of the state, Lamar is a welcoming and charming community with plenty to offer its residents and visitors alike.
The town was founded in 1884 and named after former U.S. Senator L.Q.C Lamar of Mississippi. It was established as an agricultural center and continues to be today, with vast tracts of farmland surrounding the town in all directions. The area is known for its rich soil and plentiful crops, making it an ideal place for farming and ranching activities.
The downtown area is home to a variety of businesses including restaurants, banks, gas stations, retail shops, grocery stores, churches and more. There are also several parks located throughout the city including Lamar City Park which features playgrounds, picnic pavilions and walking trails; as well as the historic Lamar Cemetery where many local veterans are buried.
According to fun-wiki, Lamar has several attractions that draw visitors from near and far such as the Darlington Raceway which hosts NASCAR events throughout the year; as well as several museums like the Givens-Walker House Museum which showcases artifacts from local history dating back to 1890s; or The Arts Center of Darlington County where visitors can view artwork from local artists or take classes in pottery or painting; or even visit one of two libraries located within city limits that offer public access computers, books and other resources for students or researchers alike.
In addition to being known for its agricultural production and historical sites, Lamar also offers some great recreational activities such as fishing at nearby Lake Robinson or boating on nearby Lynches River; camping at one of three nearby campgrounds; playing golf at one of four championship courses located within 20 miles; or visiting one of several local wineries that produce award-winning wines from locally grown grapes.
From outdoor recreation to historical sites to shopping opportunities – there’s something for everyone in Lamar! So whether you’re looking for a place to call home or just looking for a great weekend getaway – make sure you visit this charming small town in South Carolina.
Population: 1,015. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,003 (-1.2% change)
Males: 484 (47.7%), Females: 531 (52.3%)
Zip code: 29069
Median resident age: 40.7 years
Median household income: $28,571
Median house value: $63,000
Races in Lamar:
- White Non-Hispanic (53.5%)
- Black (45.7%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (10.4%), English (5.0%), Irish (2.6%), Scotch-Irish (2.4%), French (1.7%), Scottish (1.4%).
Elevation: 170 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Lamar
- High school or higher: 62.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lamar town
- Never married: 27.5%
- Now married: 48.0%
- Separated: 3.8%
- Widowed: 13.3%
- Divorced: 7.3%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -50 (-4.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Lamar:
- CAROLINA PINES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; HARTSVILLE, SC)
- WILSON MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; DARLINGTON, SC)
- CAROLINAS HOSPITAL SYSTEM (about 23 miles; FLORENCE, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lamar:
- FLORENCE REGIONAL (about 24 miles; FLORENCE, SC; Abbreviation: FLO)
- SHAW AFB (about 32 miles; SUMTER, SC; Abbreviation: SSC)
- MC ENTIRE ANGS (about 53 miles; EASTOVER, SC; Abbreviation: MMT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lamar:
- HUGGINS MEMORIAL (about 11 miles; TIMMONSVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: 58J)
- BRANHAMS (about 13 miles; DARLINGTON, SC; Abbreviation: 6J7)
- LEE COUNTY (about 13 miles; BISHOPVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: 52J)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lamar:
- FLORENCE DARLINGTON TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 18 miles; FLORENCE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,619)
- FRANCIS MARION UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; FLORENCE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,922)
- BENEDICT COLLEGE (about 66 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,880)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT COLUMBIA (about 68 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 19,682)
- MIDLANDS TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 68 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,958)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE (about 71 miles; PEMBROKE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,806)
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
Public high school in Lamar:
- LAMAR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 374; Location: 216 DARLINGTON AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Lamar:
- LAMAR ELEMENTARY (Students: 410; Location: 214 DARLINGTON AVENUE; Grades: PK – 03)
- SPAULDING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 204 EAST PEARL ST.; Grades: 04 – 06)
- SPAULDING JR HIGH (Students: 210; Location: 400 SOUTH MAIN STREET; Grades: 07 – 08)