Located in the northwestern part of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, Lakeview is a small village that rests on the shores of Big Creek Lake and just a few miles away from the larger town of Stanton. With a population of less than 1,500 people, Lakeview is one of those towns that still holds onto its quaint charm, but also offers plenty to do for those who live there or come to visit.
According to deluxesurveillance, the area around Lakeview has been inhabited since the early 1800s when settlers first moved into the area. In 1872, the village was incorporated as “Newaygo,” which was later changed to its current name in 1886. Throughout its history, Lakeview has always been known for its scenic beauty and recreational opportunities. The nearby lake provides excellent fishing, boating and swimming opportunities and there are several golf courses located nearby as well.
The downtown area of Lakeview is full of charming shops, restaurants and other businesses that reflect the town’s rural character. There are several small parks throughout town that offer great places for picnicking or just relaxing in nature’s beauty. The nearby Big Creek State Park offers camping sites and trails for hiking or biking as well as great views of Big Creek Lake.
According to electronicsmatter, Lakeview is home to several annual events such as their 4th of July fireworks display which attracts thousands every year; their fall festival; and their Christmas tree lighting ceremony complete with caroling and hot chocolate! There are also regular farmers markets where locals can purchase fresh produce grown right in town!
For those looking for educational opportunities, there is an elementary school located within the village limits along with two private schools located just outside it. There are also some higher education options located within easy driving distance such as Central Michigan University which is only about an hour away from town.
Overall, Lakeview is a great place to live if you’re looking for a small-town atmosphere with plenty of recreational activities close by! With its picturesque scenery and friendly community atmosphere it’s no wonder why so many people love living here.
Population: 1,112. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,122 (+0.9% change)
Males: 499 (44.9%), Females: 613 (55.1%)
Zip code: 48850
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $33,611
Median house value: $68,800
Races in Lakeview:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.6%)
- Hispanic (3.1%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (19.8%), English (15.9%), United States (12.7%), Irish (12.1%), Danish (6.7%), Dutch (5.4%).
Land area: 1.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Lakeview
- High school or higher: 78.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 7.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Lakeview village
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 54.5%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 13.5%
- Divorced: 8.8%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -7 (-0.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Lakeview:
- KELSEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (418 WASHINGTON AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Lakeview:
- UNITED MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; GREENVILLE, MI)
- MECOSTA COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; BIG RAPIDS, MI)
- SHERIDAN COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; SHERIDAN, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Lakeview:
- GERALD R. FORD INTERNATIONAL (about 43 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Abbreviation: GRR)
- CAPITAL CITY (about 67 miles; LANSING, MI; Abbreviation: LAN)
- MUSKEGON COUNTY (about 69 miles; MUSKEGON, MI; Abbreviation: MKG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Lakeview:
- LAKEVIEW AIRPORT-GRIFFITH FIELD (about 3 miles; LAKEVIEW, MI; Abbreviation: 13C)
- CANADIAN LAKES (about 9 miles; MECOSTA, MI; Abbreviation: 0C5)
- MECOSTA MORTON (about 13 miles; MECOSTA, MI; Abbreviation: 27C)
Amtrak station near Lakeview:
- 14 miles: HOWARD CITY (130 N. ENSLEY ST.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Lakeview:
- FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; BIG RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,593)
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; MT PLEASANT, MI; Full-time enrollment: 21,353)
- CALVIN COLLEGE (about 40 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 4,148)
- AQUINAS COLLEGE (about 42 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,022)
- GRAND RAPIDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 7,590)
- GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; ALLENDALE, MI; Full-time enrollment: 15,124)
- MUSKEGON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; MUSKEGON, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,365)
Public high school in Lakeview:
- LAKEVIEW HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 629; Location: 9800 YOUNGMAN ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Lakeview:
- LAKEVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 420; Location: 125 S. 5TH STREET; Grades: 03 – 05)
- LAKEVIEW MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 418; Location: 516 E. WASHINGTON AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BRIGHT START ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 335; Location: 9497 PADEN ROAD; Grades: PK – 02)
Private primary/middle school in Lakeview:
- PLEASANT HILL AMISH PAR SCH (Students: 28; Location: 7750 KENDAVILLE RD CORNER OF F; Grades: 1 – 8)
Library in Lakeview:
- TAMARACK PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $162,666; Location: 407 EAST LINCOLN AVENUE; 21,120 books; 415 audio materials; 340 video materials; 290 serial subscriptions)