According to Harvardshoes, Kingston, Rhode Island is a historic town located in Washington County. It is home to the University of Rhode Island and has a population of just over 7,000 people.
The area was originally inhabited by the Narragansett Native Americans who were part of the Algonquin tribe. The first Europeans arrived in 1675 and the area was incorporated into a town in 1726. Since then, Kingston has grown to become an important part of Rhode Island’s history and culture.
Kingston is home to many historic sites such as the University of Rhode Island which was founded in 1892, and the Kingston Congregational Church which dates back to 1722. The town also contains several other notable buildings including the Kingston Free Library which was built in 1875, and the Kingston Historic District which contains over 500 structures from various periods of history ranging from colonial times to modern day.
According to Health-beauty-guides, the town is known for its vibrant arts scene with numerous galleries, theaters and music venues located throughout Kingston. There are also several festivals that take place throughout the year including the Kingston Arts Festival and URI’s Arts Fest.
When it comes to recreation, Kingston has plenty to offer with its numerous parks, trails, beaches and lakeside activities such as fishing and kayaking. The nearby URI Nature Preserve offers visitors a chance to observe native wildlife while hiking or biking through its wooded trails.
Kingston is also home to numerous restaurants offering cuisines ranging from Italian food at Mama’s Pizzeria & Restaurant to seafood at Fin’s Pub & Grill. In addition there are many pubs, bars and cafes throughout town as well as ice cream parlors for those looking for a sweet treat after dinner or lunchtime snacks.
Overall, Kingston is an excellent place for those looking for an interesting mix of history, culture, recreation and entertainment all within one small yet charming New England town. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful getaway or an exciting nightlife scene there’s something here for everyone.
Males: 2,460 (45.2%), Females: 2,986 (54.8%)
Median resident age: 19.9 years
Median household income: $56,159
Median house value: $173,400
Races in Kingston:
- White Non-Hispanic (84.2%)
- Hispanic (4.6%)
- Black (3.5%)
- Other race (2.4%)
- Other Asian (2.2%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- American Indian (2.1%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- Korean (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (19.8%), Italian (18.9%), English (12.4%), French (7.1%), German (5.8%), Polish (5.8%).
Elevation: 252 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Kingston
- High school or higher: 94.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 54.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 27.1%
- Unemployed: 25.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Kingston CDP
- Never married: 63.8%
- Now married: 32.2%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 1.6%
- Divorced: 2.0%
9.3% Foreign born (4.7% Asia, 2.2% Europe, 1.2% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Kingston:
- SOUTH COUNTY HOSPITAL INC (about 4 miles; WAKEFIELD, RI)
- NEWPORT HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; NEWPORT, RI)
- KENT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; WARWICK, RI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Kingston:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 18 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 37 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 60 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Kingston:
- RICHMOND (about 7 miles; WEST KINGSTON, RI; Abbreviation: 08R)
- QUONSET STATE (about 12 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
- NEWPORT STATE (about 19 miles; NEWPORT, RI; Abbreviation: UUU)
Amtrak station near Kingston:
- 3 miles: KINGSTON (WEST KINGSTON, FAIRGROUNDS RD.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Kingston:
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (Full-time enrollment: 11,759; Public; Website: www.uri.edu/; Offers Doctor’s degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Kingston:
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 17 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 17 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (about 25 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 7,460)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 26 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 6,208)
Public primary/middle school in Kingston:
- THE FARM SCHOOL (Students: 9; Location: 25 WEST INDEPENDENCE WAY; Grades: 01 – 12)
Private primary/middle school in Kingston:
- FIRST STEP AT KINGSTON (Students: 68; Location: 25 WEST INDEPENDENCE WAY; Grades: PK – KG)