According to fun-wiki, Kekaha is a small unincorporated community located on the west side of Kauai, Hawaii. It is situated along the western coast of the island, near Waimea town and the Kekaha Beach Park. The area is known for its stunning beaches, lush tropical vegetation and unique Hawaiian culture.
The name Kekaha means “the place” in Hawaiian, and it was originally home to a small fishing village that was established in 1820 by King Kaumuali`i. The village has since grown into a small town of approximately 1,500 people. Despite its size, Kekaha is still known for its laid-back atmosphere and sense of community.
According to growtheology, Kekaha’s main attraction is its stunning beaches. The area boasts four miles of golden sand that stretches from Polihale State Park to Kealia Beach Park and is considered some of the best on Kauai. The crystal-clear waters are perfect for swimming, snorkeling, surfing or simply relaxing in the sun and enjoying the scenery. In addition to its beaches, Kekaha also offers plenty of outdoor activities such as kayaking, paddleboarding and hiking trails through lush forests and along rugged cliffs overlooking the ocean.
The local culture in Kekaha revolves around traditional Hawaiian values such as respect for nature and an appreciation for family ties. Many local residents still practice traditional customs such as luaus (traditional feasts), hula dancing, lei making and ukulele playing. Visitors can get a taste of this unique culture by visiting one of the many local restaurants that serve up delicious Hawaiian cuisine or attending a cultural event like an art walk or farmers market held monthly at Waimea Town Square.
Kekaha also offers plenty of shopping opportunities with several stores offering everything from beachwear to souvenirs to handmade gifts from local artisans. There are also several galleries featuring works by local artists as well as businesses providing services such as surfing lessons or boat tours out to nearby islands like Ni`ihau Island where visitors can experience more traditional Hawaiian life away from tourist crowds.
Overall, Kekaha is an idyllic spot on Kauai offering visitors breathtaking natural beauty combined with authentic Hawaiian culture all wrapped up in one charming package.
Males: 1,572 (49.5%), Females: 1,603 (50.5%)
Zip code: 96752
Median resident age: 40.4 years
Median household income: $41,103
Median house value: $163,000
Races in Kekaha:
- Filipino (31.5%)
- Two or more races (26.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (14.5%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (12.4%)
- Hispanic (8.7%)
- Japanese (8.4%)
- Other Asian (3.2%)
- American Indian (2.6%)
- Other race (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Portuguese (5.5%), German (4.6%), English (3.5%), Irish (2.6%), Scottish (1.8%), Italian (1.2%).
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Kekaha
- High school or higher: 73.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 7.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Kekaha CDP
- Never married: 26.6%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 7.6%
19.7% Foreign born (18.8% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Kekaha:
- KAUAI VETERANS MEMEORIAL HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; WAIMEA, HI)
- WILCOX MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; LIHUE, HI)
- SAMUEL MAHELONA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; KAPAA, HI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Kekaha:
- LIHUE (about 27 miles; LIHUE, HI; Abbreviation: LIH)
- HONOLULU INTL (about 133 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Abbreviation: HNL)
- MOLOKAI (about 191 miles; KAUNAKAKAI, HI; Abbreviation: MKK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Kekaha:
- PORT ALLEN (about 11 miles; HANAPEPE, HI; Abbreviation: PAK)
- DILLINGHAM AIRFIELD (about 110 miles; MOKULEIA, HI; Abbreviation: HDH)
- KALAELOA (JOHN RODGERS FIELD) (about 124 miles; KAPOLEI, HI; Abbreviation: JRF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Kekaha:
- BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY-HAWAII CAMPUS (about 126 miles; LAIE, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- LEEWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 128 miles; PEARL CITY, HI; Full-time enrollment: 3,511)
- HONOLULU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 136 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,787)
- HAWAII PACIFIC UNIVERSITY (about 137 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 6,186)
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT MANOA (about 139 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 14,113)
- KAPIOLANI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 141 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 4,131)
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT HILO (about 356 miles; HILO, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,434)
Public primary/middle schools in Kekaha:
- KEKAHA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 262; Location: 8140 KEKAHA ROAD; Grades: PK – 06)
- KE KULA NI’IHAU O KEKAHA LEARNING CENTER – PCS (Students: 28; Location: 8135 KEKAHA ROAD; Grades: KG – 12)
Private primary/middle school in Kekaha:
- ST THERESA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 125; Location: P O BOX 277; Grades: PK – 8)