According to beautyphoon, Johnston, Rhode Island is a town located in Providence County, about eight miles southwest of downtown Providence. The town was established as a farming community in 1759 and was incorporated in 1759. It is the only town in the state that borders both the states of Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Johnston is home to a population of just over 28,000 people and covers an area of about 19 square miles. It has been ranked as one of the best places to live in Rhode Island due to its low crime rate, affordability, and quality of life.
The town has a rich history that dates back to pre-Colonial times when it was inhabited by Native Americans who fished and hunted game in the area before settlers began arriving from Europe. In 1636, Roger Williams arrived in Johnston and established what would become the first permanent settlement in Rhode Island.
According to bestitude, Johnston has two main commercial districts: Atwood Avenue and Greenville Avenue. Atwood Avenue is home to numerous restaurants, shops, banks, salons, medical offices, supermarkets, and more while Greenville Avenue features numerous big box stores such as Target and Walmart as well as other retail stores like Best Buy.
The town also has several parks including Cherry Hill Park which features tennis courts, playgrounds, baseball fields and picnic areas; Johnston Memorial Park which includes walking trails; North Road Park which offers basketball courts; DeFusco Field which features soccer fields; and Bartlett Pond Park which offers fishing opportunities.
Johnston also boasts several cultural attractions such as the Johnston Historical Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers along with local history exhibits; The Johnston War Memorial Auditorium which hosts music concerts throughout the year; The Johnston Public Library which offers books for all ages; The Johnston Senior Center that provides activities for seniors; The Johnston Animal Shelter where people can adopt pets; and many other attractions such as golf courses, swimming pools, movie theaters, bowling alleys and more!
Overall, Johnston is an ideal place to live for those looking for a safe community with plenty of amenities at an affordable price! With its rich history dating back centuries ago combined with modern amenities it truly is an amazing place to call home.
Population: 28,195. Estimated population in July 2020: 29,163 (+3.4% change)
Males: 13,214 (46.9%), Females: 14,981 (53.1%)
Median resident age: 40.7 years
Median household income: $43,514
Median house value: $131,700
Races in Johnston:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.5%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Black (0.7%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (53.6%), Irish (15.4%), French (9.5%), English (7.5%), French Canadian (4.7%), Portuguese (4.3%).
For population 25 years and over in Johnston
- High school or higher: 78.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Johnston town
- Never married: 22.5%
- Now married: 57.6%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 9.6%
4.8% Foreign born (2.3% Europe, 1.0% Asia, 0.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,788 (+6.8%).
College/University in Johnston:
- RHODE ISLAND BEAUTY ACADEMY (Full-time enrollment: 89; Location: 1395 ATWOOD AVE; Private, for-profit; Website: ribeautyacademy.com)
Public high school in Johnston:
- JOHNSTON SENIOR HIGH (Students: 873; Location: 345 CHERRY HILL ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Johnston:
- TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 40; Location: 2119 HARTFORD AVENUE; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Johnston:
- NICHOLAS A. FERRI MIDDLE (Students: 855; Location: 10 MEMORIAL AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER (Students: 277; Location: 10 MEMORIAL AVENUE; Grades: PK – KG)
- THORNTON SCHOOL (Students: 249; Location: 4 SCHOOL STREET; Grades: 01 – 05)
- WINSOR HILL SCHOOL (Students: 231; Location: 100 THERESA STREET; Grades: 01 – 05)
- SARAH DYER BARNES SCHOOL (Students: 220; Location: 24 BARNES AVENUE; Grades: 01 – 05)
- BROWN AVENUE SCHOOL (Students: 211; Location: 14 BROWN AVENUE; Grades: 01 – 05)
- GEORGE C. CALEF SCHOOL (Students: 184; Location: 7 WAVELAND STREET; Grades: 01 – 05)
- GRANITEVILLE SCHOOL (Students: 183; Location: 6 COLLINS AVENUE; Grades: 01 – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Johnston:
- ST ROCCO SCHOOL (Students: 504; Location: 931 ATWOOD AVE; Grades: PK – 8)
- PIED PIPER NURSERY SCHOOL INC (Students: 81; Location: 13 HEBDEEN ST; Grades: PK – KG)
- KINDER CARE LEARNING CENTER (Students: 47; Location: 350 CENTRAL AVE; Grades: PK – 4)
Library in Johnston:
- MARIAN J. MOHR MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $511,581; Location: 1 MEMORIAL AVENUE; 77,204 books; 2,781 audio materials; 1,149 video materials; 138 serial subscriptions)