According to Ezinesports, Jefferson was designated the county seat of Jackson County on November 24, 1806. The city, named for President Thomas Jefferson, was the site of a previous Indian settlement.
The Jackson County courthouse, in Jefferson, was built in 1879 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The site of the city was originally an Indian settlement named Thomocoggan. The city was then incorporated as Jeffersonville. Later, the name was changed to Jeffersonton and finally shortened to its current name on June 30, 1824.
State high school track and field championships are held in Jefferson, which has one of the top track facilities in the state.
According to Fashionissupreme, Dr. Crawford W. Long first used ether for surgery in Jefferson on March 30, 1842. The Crawford W. Long Medical Museum was established to commemorate that monumental occurrence in the medical field. In addition, Crawford Long Days in November is a festival to celebrate his memory.
Population: 3,825. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,599 (+46.4% change)
Males: 1,798 (47.0%), Females: 2,027 (53.0%)
Zip code: 30549
Median resident age: 34.8 years
Median household income: $41,146
Median house value: $111,600
Races in Jefferson:
- White Non-Hispanic (78.0%)
- Black (16.1%)
- Hispanic (4.2%)
- Other race (1.2%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (21.1%), English (6.6%), German (6.4%), Irish (6.2%), Scotch-Irish (2.7%), Italian (1.7%).
Land area: 19.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Jefferson
- High school or higher: 68.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jefferson city
- Never married: 21.0%
- Now married: 56.5%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 14.0%
4.4% Foreign born (2.7% Latin America, 1.1% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +737 (+23.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Jefferson:
- BANKS-JACKSON-COMMERCE HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; COMMERCE, GA)
- BARROW COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; WINDER, GA)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL OF ATHENS (about 19 miles; ATHENS, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jefferson:
- ATHENS/BEN EPPS (about 24 miles; ATHENS, GA; Abbreviation: AHN)
- DOBBINS AIR RESERVE BASE (about 65 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Abbreviation: MGE)
- ANDERSON RGNL (about 67 miles; ANDERSON, SC; Abbreviation: AND)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jefferson:
- JACKSON COUNTY (about 4 miles; JEFFERSON, GA; Abbreviation: 19A)
- WINDER-BARROW (about 13 miles; WINDER, GA; Abbreviation: WDR)
- LEE GILMER MEMORIAL (about 19 miles; GAINESVILLE, GA; Abbreviation: GVL)
Amtrak station near Jefferson:
- 20 miles: GAINESVILLE (104 SE 1ST AVE.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jefferson:
- UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA (about 20 miles; ATHENS, GA; Full-time enrollment: 28,464)
- GAINESVILLE COLLEGE (about 23 miles; OAKWOOD, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,181)
- GWINNETT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 31 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,215)
- NORTH GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; DAHLONEGA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,119)
- GEORGIA PERIMETER COLLEGE (about 55 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 8,213)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 55 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- EMORY UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 10,839)
Public high schools in Jefferson:
- JACKSON COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,492; Location: 1668 WINDER HIGHWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- JEFFERSON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 421; Location: 575 WASHINGTON STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- REGIONAL EVENING ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 24; Location: 441 GORDON STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Jefferson:
- JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 890; Location: 415 HOSCHTON STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- WEST JACKSON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 725; Location: 400 GUMSPRING CHURCH ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- JEFFERSON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 393; Location: 635 OLD PENDERGRASS RD.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- JACKSON COUNTY CROSSROADS (Location: 441 GORDON STREET; Grades: 00 – 00)
Private primary/middle school in Jefferson:
- JACKSON TRAIL CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 20; Location: 371 HOPE HAVEN RD; Grades: PK – 6)