According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Jarales, New Mexico is a small unincorporated community located in Valencia County, just south of Belen. Jarales was established in 1881, when the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway first arrived in the area. The town was named after Don Francisco Jaramillo, a local landowner who donated some of his property to help establish the railroad.
Jarales is a small rural community with a population of just under 500 people. The majority of its residents are Hispanic and many trace their family roots back to the original settlers from Spain who arrived centuries ago. Despite its small size, Jarales has plenty to offer visitors and locals alike.
The town is known for its excellent outdoor recreation opportunities such as fishing and hunting in nearby reservoirs and state parks. There are also several public golf courses within driving distance from Jarales that offer beautiful views of the majestic Sandia Mountains.
According to Topbbacolleges, the town itself has several unique attractions worth checking out. One popular spot is the historic St Francis Church which has been standing since 1881 when it was constructed by Father Antonio Martinez for local parishioners. The church still stands today and offers visitors a glimpse into the past with its stunning architecture and old-world charm.
Other attractions include two museums: The Valencia County Museum which showcases local history at its best; and the NM Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum which tells the story of rural life in New Mexico over the last century with interactive exhibits and displays featuring artifacts from both Native American culture as well as Spanish settlers dating back to 1598 when Juan de Oñate led an expedition into what is now known as New Mexico.
In addition to these cultural sites, there are also plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, galleries and other businesses located throughout Jarales that offer plenty of entertainment options for locals or visitors looking for something fun to do during their time here.
Overall Jarales is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a unique experience full of history and culture away from larger cities like Albuquerque or Santa Fe but still close enough that you can enjoy all that New Mexico has to offer without having to drive too far away from home.
Males: 714 (49.8%), Females: 720 (50.2%)
Zip code: 87023
Median resident age: 35.3 years
Median household income: $26,897
Median house value: $115,400
Races in Jarales:
- Hispanic (64.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (33.3%)
- Other race (25.5%)
- Two or more races (3.8%)
- American Indian (1.8%)
- Black (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (18.3%), English (5.9%), Irish (3.6%), German (3.1%).
Elevation: 4787 feet
Land area: 5.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Jarales
- High school or higher: 72.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jarales CDP
- Never married: 19.1%
- Now married: 58.3%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 11.7%
4.4% Foreign born (3.8% Latin America, 0.6% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Jarales:
- CARRIE TINGLEY HOSPITAL (about 35 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- HEART HOSPITAL OF NEW MEXICO (about 35 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- INTEGRATED SPECIALTY HOSPITAL OF ALBUQ (about 35 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jarales:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 32 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL (about 117 miles; RUIDOSO, NM; Abbreviation: SRR)
- HOLLOMAN AFB (about 129 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM; Abbreviation: HMN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jarales:
- ALEXANDER MUNI (about 6 miles; BELEN, NM; Abbreviation: E80)
- MID VALLEY AIRPARK (about 11 miles; LOS LUNAS, NM; Abbreviation: E98)
- DOUBLE EAGLE II (about 37 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: AEG)
Amtrak station near Jarales:
- 5 miles: BELEN (420 N MAIN ST.) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jarales:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 32 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 35 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 41 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 136 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 160 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-DONA ANA (about 160 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,380)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 178 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)