According to beautyphoon, Jal, New Mexico is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. It is situated at an elevation of 3,822 feet and has a population of about 1,500 people. The town was founded in 1896 by settlers from Texas and Oklahoma and was originally called “Cottonwood”.
The town has a rich history that dates back to when it was first settled. The area was home to the Mescalero Apache tribe until they were forced to move onto the Mescalero Apache Reservation in 1891. After this, settlers began to move into the area and develop it into what it is today.
Jal is known for its rich cultural heritage and old-fashioned charm. It offers a variety of activities such as camping, fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, bird watching, horseback riding and hunting. There are also numerous historical sites within the city limits including an old church built in 1908 and several other buildings that were constructed during Jal’s earliest days as a settlement.
The local economy consists mainly of farming and ranching with small businesses that provide goods and services for residents of Jal as well as visitors from out of town. The town also has two convenience stores which offer basic necessities such as groceries and fuel for travelers passing through on their way to other destinations in New Mexico or Texas.
According to bestitude, the climate in Jal is semi-arid with low humidity levels throughout most of the year making it an ideal place to visit during any season. Summers are hot with temperatures reaching up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit while winters can be cold but rarely drop below freezing temperatures.
The people who call Jal home are friendly and welcoming people who take pride in their community’s history and culture. From local festivals like the Annual Cottonwood Festival which celebrates its agricultural roots or the Jal Fiesta which celebrates Mexican culture every summer; there are plenty of reasons why people love living here!
Jal may be small but it packs a lot into one tiny space – so whether you’re looking for some outdoor adventure or just want to experience a bit of rural life; this little corner of New Mexico will not disappoint.
Population: 1,996. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,021 (+1.3% change)
Males: 952 (47.7%), Females: 1,044 (52.3%)
Zip code: 88252
Median resident age: 38.6 years
Median household income: $30,848
Median house value: $26,400
Races in Jal:
- White Non-Hispanic (55.9%)
- Hispanic (42.0%)
- Other race (27.1%)
- Two or more races (4.6%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
- Black (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (10.9%), German (6.2%), Irish (5.7%), English (5.6%), French (2.1%), Dutch (1.6%).
Elevation: 3069 feet
Land area: 4.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Jal
- High school or higher: 63.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jal city
- Never married: 18.2%
- Now married: 63.6%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 6.7%
13.2% Foreign born (12.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -146 (-6.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Jal:
- WINKLER COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; KERMIT, TX)
- LEA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; HOBBS, NM)
- WARD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 43 miles; MONAHANS, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jal:
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 40 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 70 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
- CAVERN CITY AIR TRML (about 75 miles; CARLSBAD, NM; Abbreviation: CNM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jal:
- LEA COUNTY/JAL/ (about 3 miles; JAL, NM; Abbreviation: E26)
- EUNICE (about 24 miles; EUNICE, NM; Abbreviation: E04)
- WINKLER COUNTY (about 24 miles; WINK, TX; Abbreviation: INK)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jal:
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 54 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 77 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 117 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- SUL ROSS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 125 miles; ALPINE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 140 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 142 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 176 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
Public high school in Jal:
- JAL HIGH (Students: 140; Location: 200 E. PANTHER; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Jal:
- JAL ELEM (Students: 207; Location: 301 W. MINNESOTA AVENUE; Grades: PK – 06)
- JAL JR HIGH (Students: 78; Location: 200 E. PANTHER; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Jal:
- WOOLWORTH COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $607,165; Location: 3RD & UTAH; 28,236 books; 1,167 audio materials; 1,379 video materials; 68 serial subscriptions)