According to watchtutorials, Irrigon, Oregon is a small city located in the northern part of Morrow County, along the Columbia River. It is situated on the south bank of the river, and is just a few miles away from Hermiston, Oregon. The city was first settled in 1906 by two brothers who were looking to start their own farm. Over time, more settlers began to move into the area and Irrigon was officially incorporated as a city in 1959.
The population of Irrigon has remained relatively steady for many years, with a current population of about 1,500 people. Most of the residents are employed in agriculture-related industries such as farming and ranching. There are also some manufacturing businesses located within the city’s limits that provide additional employment opportunities to local residents.
According to ablogtophone, the climate in Irrigon is generally mild throughout the year with hot summers and cold winters. The average high temperature during summer months can reach up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit while winter temperatures can dip down to around 20 degrees Fahrenheit or lower at night time. Rainfall averages around 17 inches per year making it an ideal place for growing crops such as wheat and corn.
Irrigon’s economy relies heavily on agriculture as well as some light manufacturing businesses that are located within its limits. The city also has a number of small businesses including restaurants, retail stores and other service-oriented establishments which help contribute to its economic health.
The city also offers plenty of recreational activities for its residents including fishing at nearby lakes or rivers, camping at nearby parks and trails, golfing on one of two local courses or visiting one of several nearby wineries or vineyards for tastings or tours.
Irrigon has something for everyone – from rural living with easy access to urban amenities like shopping centers and restaurants to outdoor activities like fishing or camping – making it an ideal place for anyone looking for a small town feel with big city convenience nearby.
Population: 1,702. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,777 (+4.4% change)
Males: 835 (49.1%), Females: 867 (50.9%)
Zip code: 97844
Median resident age: 30.0 years
Median household income: $35,799
Median house value: $87,100
Races in Irrigon:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.7%)
- Hispanic (27.3%)
- Other race (22.9%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- American Indian (2.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (14.9%), United States (12.9%), Irish (10.3%), English (8.3%), French (3.9%), Dutch (2.4%).
Elevation: 297 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Irrigon
- High school or higher: 72.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 10.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Irrigon city
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 10.8%
11.9% Foreign born (10.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +962 (+130.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Irrigon:
- GOOD SHEPHERD MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; HERMISTON, OR)
- PROSSER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; PROSSER, WA)
- KADLEC MEDICAL CENTER (about 31 miles; RICHLAND, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Irrigon:
- TRI-CITIES (about 36 miles; PASCO, WA; Abbreviation: PSC)
- EASTERN OREGON REGIONAL AT PENDLETON (about 48 miles; PENDLETON, OR; Abbreviation: PDT)
- WALLA WALLA REGIONAL (about 85 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Abbreviation: ALW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Irrigon:
- HERMISTON MUNI (about 18 miles; HERMISTON, OR; Abbreviation: HRI)
- BOARDMAN (about 24 miles; BOARDMAN, OR; Abbreviation: M50)
- PROSSER (about 29 miles; PROSSER, WA; Abbreviation: S40)
Amtrak station near Irrigon:
- 15 miles: HERMISTON (650 S. HWY. 395) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Irrigon:
- COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE (about 38 miles; PASCO, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- YAKIMA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; YAKIMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,906)
- CENTRAL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 105 miles; ELLENSBURG, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,420)
- EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 106 miles; LA GRANDE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,192)
- WENATCHEE VALLEY COLLEGE (about 120 miles; WENATCHEE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,074)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 144 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
Public primary/middle schools in Irrigon:
- A C HOUGHTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 351; Location: 1105 N MAIN AVE; Grades: KG – 04)
- COLUMBIA MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 315 E WYOMING AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- IRRIGON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 121; Location: 490 SE WYOMING; Grades: 05 – 06)