According to watchtutorials, Ione is a small town located in Pend Oreille County, Washington, situated about 33 miles south of the Canadian border. With a population of just over 500 people, Ione is a rural community that has managed to remain relatively unchanged since it was first established in the late 1800s.
The town is nestled among rolling hills and lush evergreen forests, providing plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation. Ione’s main attractions are its two lakes: Lake Roosevelt and Lake Ione. Both are popular destinations for fishing, boating, and swimming. Visitors can also explore nearby trails, campgrounds, and parks.
Ione has a rich cultural history. The original settlers were miners who came to the area in search of gold during the late 1800s. They built cabins and established businesses along Main Street before the turn of the century. The town’s main industry today is logging, although there are still some small-scale mining operations in the area as well.
Ione has a range of local amenities including grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and coffee shops that cater to both locals and visitors alike. There are also several churches in town for those looking for spiritual guidance or services.
The community prides itself on its sense of togetherness and hospitality; residents often come together to celebrate special occasions like holidays or birthdays with potlucks or barbecues at local parks or beaches. During summer months there are weekly farmers markets where you can find fresh produce from local farms as well as homemade crafts from talented artisans in the area.
According to ablogtophone, Ione offers an array of recreational activities such as golfing at one of its two courses; hiking along scenic trails; horseback riding through nearby pastures; kayaking on Lake Roosevelt; bird watching at nearby wildlife refuges; hunting game such as deer or elk; biking along country roads; skiing downhill slopes at nearby resorts; or simply relaxing by one of Ione’s many lakeside beaches.
Overall Ione is a peaceful place with plenty to offer visitors looking to escape from city life while still having access to all necessary amenities and attractions within easy reach – making it an ideal destination for those seeking relaxation or adventure.
Population: 479. Estimated population in July 2020: 500 (+4.4% change)
Males: 228 (47.6%), Females: 251 (52.4%)
Pend Oreille County
Zip code: 99139
Median resident age: 37.9 years
Median household income: $24,083
Median house value: $66,200
Races in Ione:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.4%)
- Two or more races (4.6%)
- American Indian (3.8%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
Ancestries: German (24.8%), Irish (24.0%), English (8.1%), United States (7.5%), Scottish (3.5%), Dutch (3.3%).
Elevation: 2090 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Ione
- High school or higher: 80.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 14.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ione town
- Never married: 23.8%
- Now married: 53.5%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 9.7%
2.9% Foreign born (2.7% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -40 (-7.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ione:
- MOUNT CARMEL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; COLVILLE, WA)
- ST JOSEPH’S HOSPITAL OF CHEWELAH (about 39 miles; CHEWELAH, WA)
- NEWPORT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 44 miles; NEWPORT, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ione:
- SPOKANE INTL (about 78 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: GEG)
- COEUR D’ALENE AIR TERM (about 79 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Abbreviation: COE)
- FAIRCHILD AFB (about 80 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: SKA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ione:
- IONE MUNI (about 4 miles; IONE, WA; Abbreviation: S23)
- SULLIVAN LAKE STATE (about 12 miles; METALINE FALLS, WA; Abbreviation: 09S)
- PRIEST LAKE USFS (about 35 miles; NORDMAN, ID; Abbreviation: 67S)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ione:
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 75 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 77 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 87 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
- EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 89 miles; CHENEY, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,852)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 132 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 141 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
Public high school in Ione:
- SELKIRK JR-SR HIGH (Students: 202; Location: 10372 HIGHWAY 31; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Ione:
- IONE PRIMARY (Students: 103; Location: 510 HOUGHTON; Grades: PK – 03)