According to growtheology, Humboldt, Kansas is a small town located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is part of Allen County and has a population of just under 2,500 people. The town was founded in 1871 and named after famed explorer and naturalist Alexander von Humboldt.
Humboldt is a rural community that is known for its strong agricultural heritage. The local economy is based largely on farming and ranching, with many residents relying on these industries for their livelihoods. The town has several large farms that produce corn, wheat, soybeans and other crops for the surrounding area. Additionally, there are many dairy farms in the area, as well as some beef cattle operations.
The town of Humboldt has a quaint downtown area with several stores and restaurants to explore. There are also two churches located within the city limits – one United Methodist Church and one Catholic Church – both of which offer services to locals every Sunday morning. Additionally, there are two public schools within Humboldt – an elementary school (Grades K-5) and middle school (Grades 6-8).
According to homethodology.com, Humboldt offers plenty of outdoor activities for residents to enjoy throughout the year. The nearby Neosho River provides opportunities for fishing, swimming or canoeing during the warmer months. There are also several parks located around town where visitors can take part in biking or hiking trails or simply relax by taking in views of the surrounding countryside from a picnic table or bench.
For those looking to experience some local culture, Humboldt hosts an annual festival each summer called “Hometown Days” which features live music performances from local bands as well as food vendors selling traditional Kansas dishes like BBQ beef sandwiches or fried chicken dinners. Additionally, every fall Humboldt hosts a county fair that includes carnival rides, livestock shows and other activities that draw people from all over the region to celebrate this longstanding tradition in Allen County.
Overall, Humboldt is an ideal place to live if you’re looking for a small town atmosphere with plenty of activities to keep you busy throughout the year.
Population: 1,999. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,921 (-3.9% change)
Males: 983 (49.2%), Females: 1,016 (50.8%)
Zip code: 66748
Median resident age: 40.5 years
Median household income: $30,408
Median house value: $35,900
Races in Humboldt:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.6%)
- Hispanic (5.2%)
- Other race (2.7%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Black (1.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (21.3%), United States (17.0%), Irish (7.4%), English (5.9%), Dutch (3.0%), Swedish (2.6%).
Elevation: 970 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Humboldt
- High school or higher: 82.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Humboldt city
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 55.1%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 11.3%
- Divorced: 9.9%
1.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -192 (-8.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Humboldt:
- ALLEN COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; IOLA, KS)
- NEOSHO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; CHANUTE, KS)
- WILSON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 32 miles; NEODESHA, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Humboldt:
- FORBES FIELD (about 80 miles; TOPEKA, KS; Abbreviation: FOE)
- JOPLIN REGIONAL (about 81 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Abbreviation: JLN)
- CHARLES B. WHEELER DOWNTOWN (about 108 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MKC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Humboldt:
- ALLEN COUNTY (about 6 miles; IOLA, KS; Abbreviation: K88)
- CHANUTE MARTIN JOHNSON (about 11 miles; CHANUTE, KS; Abbreviation: CNU)
- YATES CENTER (about 22 miles; YATES CENTER, KS; Abbreviation: 8K5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Humboldt:
- PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; PITTSBURG, KS; Full-time enrollment: 5,566)
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; EMPORIA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,528)
- UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MAIN CAMPUS (about 80 miles; LAWRENCE, KS; Full-time enrollment: 22,506)
- MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE COLLEGE (about 82 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,569)
- WASHBURN UNIVERSITY OF TOPEKA (about 88 miles; TOPEKA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,472)
- JOHNSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 92 miles; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,857)
- BUTLER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 98 miles; EL DORADO, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,250)
Public high school in Humboldt:
- HUMBOLDT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 200; Location: 1011 BRIDGE ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Humboldt:
- HUMBOLDT ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 226; Location: 1100 CENTRAL ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- HUMBOLDT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 116; Location: 1105 BRIDGE STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Humboldt:
- HUMBOLDT PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $57,240; Location: 916 BRIDGE; 20,416 books; 361 audio materials; 402 video materials; 59 serial subscriptions)