According to watchtutorials, Hopkinton, Rhode Island is a small town located in Washington County. It is a quiet, rural community with plenty of open space and stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean. The town was first settled in 1681 by settlers from Massachusetts and was named for the Hopkinton area in that state.
The town’s population is around 5,000 and is known for its picturesque landscape with rolling hills, wooded areas, and plenty of farmland. The area is home to many historical sites including two Revolutionary War battle sites, the oldest windmill in the state, a historic mill district along the Pawcatuck River, as well as numerous colonial-era homes.
According to ablogtophone, the town has several parks and recreational areas such as Arcadia Management Area which offers hiking trails and camping opportunities. There are also numerous beaches nearby such as Misquamicut Beach which offers swimming, fishing, kayaking and more.
In addition to its natural beauty Hopkinton also has several cultural offerings including the annual Hopkinton Arts Festival which features artisans from all over New England showcasing their work. There are also several local wineries nearby that offer tastings of their award-winning wines throughout the year.
For those looking for some retail therapy there are plenty of small shops offering unique gifts and items from local artisans such as pottery studios or glass blowing galleries.
There’s also a great selection of restaurants to choose from ranging from casual diners to upscale eateries offering delicious cuisine made with fresh ingredients sourced locally whenever possible.
Hopkinton is an ideal place for anyone looking for a peaceful escape away from city life while still having access to all the amenities one would expect from modern living without sacrificing any sense of community or rustic charm that this area has become known for over time.
Population: 7,836. Estimated population in July 2020: 8,121 (+3.6% change)
Males: 3,912 (49.9%), Females: 3,924 (50.1%)
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $52,181
Median house value: $137,500
Races in Hopkinton:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.1%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (21.0%), Irish (17.3%), Italian (14.2%), French (10.4%), United States (8.2%), German (7.7%).
Elevation: 170 feet
For population 25 years and over in Hopkinton
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hopkinton town
- Never married: 21.3%
- Now married: 61.8%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 9.4%
3.6% Foreign born (2.1% Europe, 0.9% Asia, 0.5% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +857 (+12.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hopkinton:
- WESTERLY HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; WESTERLY, RI)
- SOUTH COUNTY HOSPITAL INC (about 18 miles; WAKEFIELD, RI)
- WILLIAM W BACKUS HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; NORWICH, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hopkinton:
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 21 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 31 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 56 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hopkinton:
- WESTERLY STATE (about 9 miles; WESTERLY, RI; Abbreviation: WST)
- RICHMOND (about 12 miles; WEST KINGSTON, RI; Abbreviation: 08R)
- ELIZABETH FIELD (about 22 miles; FISHERS ISLAND, NY; Abbreviation: 0B8)
Amtrak stations near Hopkinton:
- 7 miles: WESTERLY (14 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 14 miles: FOXWOOD CASINO (LEDYARD, ROUTE 2) – Bus Station
- 15 miles: MYSTIC (RTE. 1). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hopkinton:
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 18 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 29 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 29 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Full-time enrollment: 4,165)
- BRYANT COLLEGE (about 35 miles; SMITHFIELD, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,926)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 36 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 6,208)
- PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)