According to growtheology, Hope Valley is a small rural town located in the western part of Rhode Island. It is situated on the Pawcatuck River, near the Connecticut border. The area was originally inhabited by the Narragansett Indians and was settled by Europeans in the late 17th century. The town was incorporated in 1730 and named after an English settler, Richard Hope.
The town has a population of approximately 4,500 people and covers an area of just over 15 square miles. The majority of the land is used for farming, as well as some light industry and commercial businesses. There are several historic sites in Hope Valley, including a Revolutionary War fort, a grist mill, and several old churches.
The town has two state parks within its boundaries: Arcadia Management Area and Pachaug State Forest. Both parks offer hiking trails and picnic areas, as well as camping sites for those looking to explore the natural beauty of Hope Valley. There are also many lakes and ponds scattered throughout the area that are popular among fishermen and boaters alike.
According to homethodology.com, Hope Valley boasts a strong sense of community spirit with many locals gathering for events such as parades, festivals, fairs, concerts and other celebrations throughout the year. The town is also home to several local businesses including restaurants, shops selling local artisans’ wares, wineries, bakeries and more.
The public school system in Hope Valley is highly rated with excellent test scores from students at all levels from elementary to high school. In addition to traditional public schools there are also private schools available in nearby towns for those who seek a more tailored education experience for their children or grandchildren.
Overall, Hope Valley is an idyllic rural community with plenty of charm that offers its residents an opportunity to enjoy life away from city life while still having access to all of its amenities when needed or desired. From its quaint downtown district filled with unique shops to its scenic countryside views there is something here for everyone to love about this small but special Rhode Island town.
Males: 830 (50.3%), Females: 819 (49.7%)
Median resident age: 37.3 years
Median household income: $43,264
Median house value: $134,700
Races in Hope Valley:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.6%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Black (0.7%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: English (20.5%), French (16.1%), Irish (15.8%), United States (11.8%), Polish (9.6%), Italian (6.7%).
Elevation: 84 feet
Land area: 3.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hope Valley
- High school or higher: 71.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hope Valley CDP
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 62.8%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 7.9%
1.4% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Hope Valley:
- WESTERLY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; WESTERLY, RI)
- SOUTH COUNTY HOSPITAL INC (about 15 miles; WAKEFIELD, RI)
- ELEANOR SLATER HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; CRANSTON, RI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hope Valley:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 25 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 26 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 53 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hope Valley:
- RICHMOND (about 8 miles; WEST KINGSTON, RI; Abbreviation: 08R)
- WESTERLY STATE (about 14 miles; WESTERLY, RI; Abbreviation: WST)
- QUONSET STATE (about 23 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
Amtrak stations near Hope Valley:
- 11 miles: KINGSTON (WEST KINGSTON, FAIRGROUNDS RD.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: WESTERLY (14 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: FOXWOOD CASINO (LEDYARD, ROUTE 2) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hope Valley:
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 14 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 23 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 23 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 30 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 6,208)
- PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (about 30 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)
- BRYANT COLLEGE (about 30 miles; SMITHFIELD, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,926)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
Public primary/middle school in Hope Valley:
- HOPE VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 292; Location: MAIN STREET; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Hope Valley:
- LANGWORTHY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $96,956; Location: 24 SPRING STREET; 28,711 books; 551 audio materials; 499 video materials; 109 serial subscriptions)