According to fun-wiki, Hopatcong, New Jersey is a picturesque borough located in the heart of Sussex County. Home to almost 15,000 residents, this charming community is situated on the banks of Lake Hopatcong and offers plenty of outdoor activities for all ages.
The town was originally founded in 1882 as a fishing village and has since grown into a vibrant community. With its close proximity to New York City and Philadelphia, Hopatcong is a great destination for commuters who are looking for a peaceful place to call home. The town offers easy access to major highways like I-80 and Route 15, making it an ideal spot for those seeking an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Residents of Hopatcong enjoy the many recreational opportunities that come with living near the lake. Boating, fishing, swimming, kayaking, and jet skiing are just some of the many activities that can be enjoyed here. The 4,400 acre lake also serves as a popular spot for birdwatching with over 200 species seen throughout the year.
During the summer months, Hopatcong’s beaches are filled with families enjoying sun-filled days swimming in Lake Hopatcong or taking advantage of nearby trails for biking or hiking excursions. The town also hosts several events throughout the year including an annual Fourth of July fireworks display at River Styx Park and Art in Nature Day which celebrates local artisans showcasing their work in public spaces around town.
For those looking to take part in more indoor activities such as shopping or dining out there are plenty of options available within walking distance from downtown Hopatcong. Popular eateries like The Dockside Grill offer delicious seafood dishes while local stores provide unique shopping experiences that can’t be found anywhere else.
According to growtheology, Hopatcong also offers many educational opportunities with its top-rated schools and numerous college options within driving distance from town such as Seton Hall University or Rutgers University Newark Campus. A vibrant community center provides residents with recreational activities ranging from pickleball tournaments to art classes while libraries offer an array of books and other resources to explore during leisure time at home or away from home.
Overall, Hopatcong is a great place to live whether you’re looking for outdoor fun or just some peace and quiet away from city life without sacrificing easy access to nearby cities if necessary. With its beautiful lake views, friendly atmosphere and plethora of recreational activities available it’s no wonder why so many people choose this quaint New Jersey borough as their home.
Population: 15,888. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,001 (+0.7% change)
Males: 8,022 (50.5%), Females: 7,866 (49.5%)
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $65,799
Median house value: $141,300
Races in Hopatcong:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.0%)
- Hispanic (6.0%)
- Black (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Asian Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Italian (25.9%), Irish (24.4%), German (20.8%), English (7.8%), Polish (7.6%), United States (4.7%).
Elevation: 1000 feet
Land area: 11.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hopatcong
- High school or higher: 89.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hopatcong borough
- Never married: 24.6%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 8.6%
6.5% Foreign born (3.0% Europe, 2.1% Latin America, 1.0% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +206 (+1.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hopatcong:
- SAINT CLARE’S HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; DOVER, NJ)
- HACKETTSTOWN COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; HACKETTSTOWN, NJ)
- ST CLARES HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; DENVILLE, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hopatcong:
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 39 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- TETERBORO (about 43 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- TRENTON MERCER (about 48 miles; TRENTON, NJ; Abbreviation: TTN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hopatcong:
- AEROFLEX-ANDOVER (about 7 miles; ANDOVER, NJ; Abbreviation: 12N)
- TRINCA (about 8 miles; ANDOVER, NJ; Abbreviation: 13N)
- NEWTON (about 8 miles; NEWTON, NJ; Abbreviation: 3N5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hopatcong:
- COUNTY COLLEGE OF MORRIS (about 9 miles; RANDOLPH, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,202)
- DREW UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; MADISON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,133)
- RARITAN VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 28 miles; SOMERVILLE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,283)
- WILLIAM PATERSON UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY (about 29 miles; WAYNE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 8,017)
- SETON HALL UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; SOUTH ORANGE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,509)
- UNION COUNTY COLLEGE (about 32 miles; CRANFORD, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,856)
- KEAN UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; UNION, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
Public high school in Hopatcong:
- HOPATCONG HIGH (Students: 979; Location: 2 WINDSOR AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Hopatcong:
- HOPATCONG MIDDLE (Students: 665; Location: DAVID ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- DURBAN AVE (Students: 428; Location: 616 DURBAN AVENUE; Grades: 04 – 05)
- HUDSON MAXIM (Students: 400; Location: RIVER STYX RD & LAKESIDE BLVD; Grades: KG – KG)
- TULSA TRAIL ELEM (Students: 398; Location: 2 TULSA TRAIL; Grades: 02 – 03)