Population: 4,467. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,241 (-5.1% change)
Males: 2,024 (45.3%), Females: 2,443 (54.7%)
Zip code: 60456
Median resident age: 38.4 years
Median household income: $39,512
Median house value: $96,500
Races in Hometown:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.8%)
- Hispanic (3.8%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: Irish (33.6%), German (28.7%), Polish (18.8%), Italian (13.0%), English (6.8%), Swedish (4.2%).
Elevation: 620 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hometown
- High school or higher: 82.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hometown city
- Never married: 25.3%
- Now married: 48.7%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 14.0%
- Divorced: 10.9%
2.9% Foreign born (1.6% Latin America, 0.9% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -296 (-6.2%).
- CHICAGO MIDWAY INTL (about 4 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Abbreviation: MDW)
- CHICAGO O’HARE INTL (about 20 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Abbreviation: ORD)
- GARY/CHICAGO (about 25 miles; GARY, IN; Abbreviation: GYY)
- MERRILL C MEIGS (about 13 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Abbreviation: CGX)
- TINLEY PARK HELISTOP (about 14 miles; CHICAGO/TINLEY PARK, IL; Abbreviation: TF8)
- FRANKFORT (about 20 miles; FRANKFORT, IL; Abbreviation: C18)
- 8 miles: SUMMIT (ARCHER & CENTER AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: LA GRANGE ROAD (LA GRANGE, 25 W. BURLINGTON AVE.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: CHICAGO (225 S. CANAL ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
- CITY COLLEGES OF CHICAGO-RICHARD J DALEY COLLEGE (about 2 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Full-time enrollment: 5,536)
- SAINT XAVIER UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,161)
- CITY COLLEGES OF CHICAGO-KENNEDY-KING COLLEGE (about 8 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,942)
- MORAINE VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; PALOS HILLS, IL; Full-time enrollment: 7,610)
- CHICAGO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,836)
- CITY COLLEGES OF CHICAGO-OLIVE-HARVEY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; CHICAGO, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,004)
- MORTON COLLEGE (about 9 miles; CICERO, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,085)
- HOMETOWN ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 406; Location: 8870 S DUFFY AVE; Grades: KG – 06)
- OUR LADY OF LORETTO SCHOOL (Students: 277; Location: 9003 S KOSTNER AVE; Grades: PK – 8)
- HOMETOWN P.L. (Operating income: $61,894; Location: 4331 SOUTHWEST HIGHWAY; 24,396 books; 611 audio materials; 809 video materials; 92 serial subscriptions)