According to Whicheverhealth, Homedale, Idaho is a small city located in Owyhee County, about 40 miles south of Boise. The city is situated in a picturesque valley near the banks of the Snake River and surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. It has a population of just over 2,500 people, making it one of the smallest cities in Idaho.
The city’s economy is largely based on agriculture and ranching, as well as tourism due to its proximity to several outdoor recreational areas. The area is also known for its production of potatoes, alfalfa, grain and other local crops.
The city was founded in 1890 by settlers who were looking for an ideal place to call home. Since then, the town has grown steadily and now offers many modern amenities while still maintaining its rural charm.
One of Homedale’s most popular attractions is its annual rodeo which takes place each summer and brings visitors from all over the region to watch professional cowboys compete in events such as team roping and barrel racing. The rodeo also features live music performances from local bands alongside traditional western activities such as bull riding and calf roping.
The area also offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation with several parks located within city limits including Centennial Park which features playgrounds, walking paths and picnic areas. Nearby rivers offer excellent fishing opportunities while nearby hills make for great hiking or biking trails with stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
According to IAMACCEPTED, education is another important part of life in Homedale with two public schools located within city limits; Homedale High School and Homedale Elementary School both serve students from kindergarten through twelfth grade offering a variety of educational programs that help prepare students for post-secondary success.
Overall, Homedale offers a unique combination of rural charm along with modern amenities that make it an ideal place to live or visit when visiting Idaho’s beautiful southwestern corner. With friendly locals, plenty of outdoor activities to explore, delicious local cuisine to try out and some great shopping options – there’s something for everyone here.
Population: 2,528. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,577 (+1.9% change)
Males: 1,243 (49.2%), Females: 1,285 (50.8%)
Zip code: 83628
Median resident age: 28.6 years
Median household income: $24,196
Median house value: $69,500
Races in Homedale:
- White Non-Hispanic (57.0%)
- Hispanic (39.2%)
- Other race (30.6%)
- Two or more races (3.7%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (10.0%), German (9.3%), Irish (9.1%), English (7.0%), Scottish (2.2%), Scotch-Irish (1.9%).
Elevation: 2237 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Homedale
- High school or higher: 57.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Homedale city
- Never married: 22.2%
- Now married: 56.0%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 9.4%
18.2% Foreign born (17.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +504 (+24.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Homedale:
- WEST VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; CALDWELL, ID)
- MERCY MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; NAMPA, ID)
- HOLY ROSARY MEDICAL CENTER (about 31 miles; ONTARIO, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Homedale:
- BOISE AIR TERMINAL/GOWEN FLD (about 51 miles; BOISE, ID; Abbreviation: BOI)
- FRIEDMAN MEMORIAL (about 184 miles; HAILEY, ID; Abbreviation: SUN)
- JOSLIN FIELD – MAGIC VALLEY RGNL (about 188 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Abbreviation: TWF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Homedale:
- HOMEDALE MUNI (about 2 miles; HOMEDALE, ID; Abbreviation: S66)
- PARMA (about 11 miles; PARMA, ID; Abbreviation: 50S)
- CALDWELL INDUSTRIAL (about 22 miles; CALDWELL, ID; Abbreviation: EUL)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Homedale:
- BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; BOISE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 12,033)
- EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 142 miles; LA GRANDE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,192)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 186 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 191 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 195 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 222 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 227 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
Public high school in Homedale:
- HOMEDALE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 339; Location: 203 EAST IDAHO AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Homedale:
- HOMEDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 504; Location: 420 WEST WASHINGTON STREET; Grades: KG – 04)
- HOMEDALE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 395; Location: 17550 JOHNSTONE ROAD; Grades: 05 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Homedale:
- HOMEDALE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 16; Location: P O BOX 627; Grades: 2 – 11)
Library in Homedale:
- HOMEDALE PUBLIC (Operating income: $39,489; Location: 125 W OWYHEE AVE; 8,861 books; 234 audio materials; 131 video materials; 15 serial subscriptions)