According to homethodology.com, Hoboken, New Jersey is a vibrant and diverse city located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is situated on the west bank of the Hudson River, directly across from Manhattan. With a population of over 55,000 people, it is one of the most densely populated cities in the United States.
Hoboken was first settled by Dutch settlers in 1630 and incorporated as a city in 1855. The city’s name comes from an early settler named “Hoeboocken” which means “landing place” in Dutch. Throughout its history, Hoboken has been known for its manufacturing industries such as brewing and shipbuilding. However, today these industries have been replaced by more modern businesses like finance and technology.
The centerpiece of Hoboken is its iconic waterfront promenade that runs along the western edge of town. This 1-mile walkway offers stunning views of Manhattan’s skyline, as well as access to numerous outdoor activities like kayaking and paddleboarding. The promenade also includes several parks such as Pier A Park and Sinatra Park that offer plenty of green space for visitors to enjoy.
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Hoboken has quickly become one of New Jersey’s most popular destinations due to its lively nightlife scene and unique shops and restaurants. There are dozens of bars and restaurants located throughout town that cater to all types of tastes including Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Americana and more. The city also hosts numerous festivals throughout the year such as Oktoberfest, Spring Fling and Arts & Music Festival which attract thousands of visitors from all around the region each year.
In addition to its vibrant nightlife scene, Hoboken is home to several cultural attractions such as museums, galleries and theaters that showcase art from around the world. Visitors can also explore historical sites like Fort Washington Park or take advantage of educational opportunities at Stevens Institute Of Technology or other local universities located nearby in Jersey City or Newark.
Overall Hoboken offers something for everyone with its unique mix of culture, entertainment options, outdoor activities and stunning views across the Hudson River into Manhattan. Whether you’re looking for a night out on the town or just want to relax along its waterfront promenade there’s something here for everyone to enjoy.
Population: 38,577. Estimated population in July 2020: 39,900 (+3.4% change)
Males: 19,654 (50.9%), Females: 18,923 (49.1%)
Median resident age: 30.4 years
Median household income: $62,550
Median house value: $428,900
Races in Hoboken:
- White Non-Hispanic (70.5%)
- Hispanic (20.2%)
- Other race (7.6%)
- Black (4.3%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- Asian Indian (1.6%)
- Chinese (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Italian (20.9%), Irish (19.2%), German (10.7%), English (5.5%), Polish (5.1%), Russian (3.1%).
Elevation: 5 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hoboken
- High school or higher: 83.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 59.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 18.7%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hoboken city
- Never married: 56.1%
- Now married: 31.1%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 5.7%
14.5% Foreign born (5.6% Europe, 4.7% Latin America, 3.3% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +5,192 (+15.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Hoboken:
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (308 WILLOW AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Hoboken:
- ST FRANCIS COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER (about 2 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ)
- ST VINCENTS HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY)
- CHRIST HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hoboken:
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 4 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
- TETERBORO (about 8 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 11 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hoboken:
- WEST 30TH ST. (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRA)
- NEW YORK SKYPORTS INC (about 5 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: 6N7)
- EAST 34TH STREET (about 5 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: 6N5)
Amtrak stations near Hoboken:
- 3 miles: NEW YORK (PENN STA) (NEW YORK, 7TH AVE. & W. 32ND ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: LA GUARDIA AIRPORT (QUEENS, ) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar and vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Hoboken:
- STEVENS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (Full-time enrollment: 2,793; Location: CASTLE POINT ON HUDSON; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.stevens-tech.edu; Offers Doctor’s degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Hoboken:
- NEW SCHOOL UNIVERSITY (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,366)
- HUDSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 3 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,630)
- SAINT PETERS COLLEGE (about 3 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,643)
- FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 8,092)
- TECHNICAL CAREER INSTITUTES (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,830)
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 30,699)
- CUNY BOROUGH OF MANHATTAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 3 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 11,848)
Public high school in Hoboken:
- HOBOKEN HIGH (Students: 668; Location: NINTH & CLINTON STS; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Hoboken:
- ACADEMY OF SACRED HEART HS (Students: 176; Location: 713 WASHINGTON STREET; Grades: 9 – 12; Girls only)
- THE HUDSON SCHOOL (Students: 172; Location: 506 PARK AVENUE; Grades: 5 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Hoboken:
- WALLACE NO 6 (Students: 490; Location: ELEVENTH ST & WILLOW AVE; Grades: KG – 05)
- ELYSIAN CS OF HOBOKEN (Students: 270; Location: 301 GARDEN STREET; Grades: KG – 08)
- HOBOKEN CS (Students: 261; Location: FOURTH AND GARDEN STREET; Grades: KG – 12)
- THOMAS G CONNORS (Students: 258; Location: 2ND & MONROE STREETS; Grades: KG – 05)
- JOSEPH F BRANDT NO 2 (Students: 247; Location: NINTH & GARDEN STS; Grades: 06 – 08)
- A. J. DEMAREST (Students: 235; Location: FOURTH & GARDEN STS; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SALVATORE R CALABRO NO 4 (Students: 190; Location: 524 PARK AVE; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Hoboken:
- SAINTS PETER AND PAUL (Students: 421; Location: 410 16 HUDSON ST; Grades: PK – 8)
- STEVENS COOPERATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 173; Location: 301 GARDEN STREET; Grades: PK – 6)
- MUSTARD SEED SCHOOL (Students: 158; Location: 422 WILLOW AVE; Grades: KG – 8)
- ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL DAY SCH (Students: 131; Location: PO BOX 5149 707 WASHINGTON ST; Grades: PK – 4)
Library in Hoboken:
- HOBOKEN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $789,455; Location: 500 PARK AVENUE; 75,244 books; 5,996 audio materials; 680 video materials; 180 serial subscriptions)