According to Topbbacolleges, Hinckley, Minnesota is a small town located in Pine County, approximately 60 miles north of the Twin Cities. It has a population of just over 2,500 people and is known for its natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities.
The city was founded in 1870 and was originally a logging town. It was named after Frank Hinckley, a lumberman who settled in the area. The main industry in the area today is tourism, with many people visiting to enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of the excellent fishing, hunting and camping opportunities that are available.
According to Whicheverhealth, Hinckley is home to several attractions including Grand Casino Hinckley, which opened in 1992 as one of two casinos owned by the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe. The casino offers gaming tables, slots, entertainment venues and hotels for visitors to enjoy. There are also several parks located throughout Hinckley including Robinson Park which features a playground, tennis courts and baseball fields; as well as Willard Munger State Trail which is used for both biking and hiking.
The city also boasts several restaurants ranging from traditional diners to upscale eateries; art galleries; antique stores; an ice cream shop; two movie theaters; a golf course; bowling alley; mini-golf course; museums; historic sites such as the Hinckley Fire Monument that commemorates one of Minnesota’s most devastating fires in 1894; as well as a variety of other shops and businesses that make up downtown Hinckley’s vibrant Main Street district.
In addition to its recreational activities and attractions, Hinckley also offers an array of community events throughout the year such as its annual Summerfest celebration which includes live music performances, food vendors, arts & crafts booths and more! Other popular events include an annual car show which features classic cars from all eras along with live entertainment & fireworks displays on July 4th each year!
Hinckley truly has something for everyone whether you’re looking for outdoor recreation opportunities or simply want to explore one of Minnesota’s most charming small towns! With its friendly locals & abundance of activities & attractions – this quaint town is sure to provide visitors with plenty of memories that will last long after they leave.
Population: 1,291. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,440 (+11.5% change)
Males: 584 (45.2%), Females: 707 (54.8%)
Zip code: 55037
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $29,338
Median house value: $79,500
Races in Hinckley:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.2%)
- American Indian (6.4%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
Ancestries: German (38.1%), Norwegian (15.3%), Swedish (11.6%), Irish (10.4%), English (6.1%), Czech (5.0%).
Elevation: 1031 feet
Land area: 2.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hinckley
- High school or higher: 79.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hinckley city
- Never married: 26.9%
- Now married: 45.9%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 9.7%
- Divorced: 14.7%
1.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +311 (+31.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hinckley:
- LAKESIDE MEDICAL CENTER, INC (about 14 miles; PINE CITY, MN)
- PINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 18 miles; SANDSTONE, MN)
- BURNETT MEDICAL CENTER INC 205 (about 26 miles; GRANTSBURG, WI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hinckley:
- DULUTH INTL (about 77 miles; DULUTH, MN; Abbreviation: DLH)
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL INTL/WOLD-CHAMBERLAIN/ (about 82 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: MSP)
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 84 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hinckley:
- RUSH CITY RGNL (about 23 miles; RUSH CITY, MN; Abbreviation: ROS)
- MORA MUNI (about 25 miles; MORA, MN; Abbreviation: JMR)
- GRANTSBURG MUNI (about 26 miles; GRANTSBURG, WI; Abbreviation: GTG)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hinckley:
- ANOKA-RAMSEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; COON RAPIDS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,627)
- CENTURY COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 65 miles; WHITE BEAR LAKE, MN; Full-time enrollment: 4,381)
- BETHEL COLLEGE (about 67 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,787)
- WISCONSIN INDIANHEAD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 69 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,045)
- HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 70 miles; BROOKLYN PARK, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,138)
- NORTH HENNEPIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 70 miles; BROOKLYN PARK, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,097)
- METROPOLITAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 73 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,171)
Public high school in Hinckley:
- HINCKLEY-FINLAYSON SEC. (Students: 546; Location: 201 MAIN ST.; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Hinckley:
- HINCKLEY EL. (Students: 468; Location: 111 BLAIR ST.; Grades: PK – 06)