According to bittranslators, Hercules, California is a small city located in the San Francisco Bay Area of Contra Costa County. The city was named after Hercules, the mythical Greek hero, and was incorporated in 1900. It has a population of around 26,000 and is known for its pleasant weather and strong sense of community.
Hercules is home to several parks and trails that offer a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and picnicking. Refugio Valley Park is the largest park in the city with over 200 acres of open space. It features a playground, picnic area, bocce courts, horseshoe pits, soccer fields, basketball courts and a baseball diamond. The park also hosts several events throughout the year such as concerts and festivals.
The downtown area offers an array of restaurants and shops as well as a variety of entertainment options including art galleries, theaters and live music venues. Hercules also boasts an impressive selection of schools ranging from preschools to high schools. The community is actively involved in supporting local schools through fundraisers and other activities that promote educational opportunities for students.
According to deluxesurveillance, Hercules is easily accessible by car or public transportation with BART stations located nearby in Richmond or El Cerrito Del Norte. There are also several major highways running through the city including Interstate 80 which connects Hercules to Oakland International Airport (OAK).
The economy in Hercules is largely driven by manufacturing companies such as Dow Chemical Company which employs over 1,500 people at their facility located here. Other industries include healthcare providers such as Kaiser Permanente which has an office in Hercules offering medical services to local residents; banking services provided by Bank Of America; retail stores; restaurants; hotels; professional services; auto repair shops; grocery stores; convenience stores; movie theaters; bowling alleys; golf courses; marinas/boat docks along San Pablo Bay/Suisun Bay shoreline/Carquinez Strait shoreline/Vallejo waterfront areas/Mare Island Strait waterfront areas & more!
In addition to its economic activity, Hercules offers its residents plenty of recreational activities throughout the year including swimming at Refugio Beach Park or Sycamore Beach Park along San Pablo Bay shoreline or going fishing off one of many fishing piers on Suisun Bay shoreline or Vallejo waterfront areas & more! The town also hosts special events such as its annual Spring Festival each May with live music performances & food vendors set up all around town for everyone to enjoy! With so much to offer both economically & recreationally – it’s no wonder why so many people choose to call Hercules home.
Population: 19,488. Estimated population in July 2020: 24,109 (+23.7% change)
Males: 9,247 (47.4%), Females: 10,241 (52.6%)
Contra Costa County
Zip code: 94547
Median resident age: 36.7 years
Median household income: $75,196
Median house value: $241,500
Races in Hercules:
- Filipino (25.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (23.7%)
- Black (18.8%)
- Hispanic (10.8%)
- Chinese (9.2%)
- Two or more races (5.3%)
- Other race (4.5%)
- Asian Indian (3.7%)
- Other Asian (1.9%)
- Japanese (1.1%)
- Vietnamese (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Korean (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (5.4%), German (4.8%), English (4.3%), Italian (3.2%), Subsaharan African (2.4%), United States (1.8%).
Elevation: 60 feet
Land area: 6.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hercules
- High school or higher: 90.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 35.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.6%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 40.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hercules city
- Never married: 28.7%
- Now married: 56.1%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 9.0%
32.1% Foreign born (26.1% Asia, 3.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,534 (+14.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hercules:
- DOCTORS MEDICAL CTR SAN PABLO CAMPUS (about 7 miles; SAN PABLO, CA)
- CALIFORNIA SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; VALLEJO, CA)
- KAISER FOUNDATION HOSPITAL VALLEJO (about 7 miles; VALLEJO, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hercules:
- BUCHANAN FIELD (about 15 miles; CONCORD, CA; Abbreviation: CCR)
- METROPOLITAN OAKLAND INTL (about 21 miles; OAKLAND, CA; Abbreviation: OAK)
- SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL (about 28 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Abbreviation: SFO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hercules:
- NAPA COUNTY (about 14 miles; NAPA, CA; Abbreviation: APC)
- SONOMA VALLEY (about 19 miles; SCHELLVILLE/SONOMA, CA; Abbreviation: 0Q3)
- SONOMA SKYPARK (about 21 miles; SONOMA, CA; Abbreviation: 0Q9)
Amtrak stations near Hercules:
- 9 miles: RICHMOND (16TH ST. & MACDONALD AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 9 miles: MARTINEZ (401 FERRY ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 9 miles: VALLEJO-MARINE WORLD (VALLEJO, 1000 FAIRGROUNDS DR.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hercules:
- CONTRA COSTA COLLEGE (about 7 miles; SAN PABLO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,626)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-BERKELEY (about 10 miles; BERKELEY, CA; Full-time enrollment: 29,690)
- DIABLO VALLEY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; PLEASANT HILL, CA; Full-time enrollment: 12,029)
- LANEY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; OAKLAND, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,549)
- MERRITT COLLEGE (about 16 miles; OAKLAND, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- COLLEGE OF ALAMEDA (about 17 miles; ALAMEDA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,450)
- ACADEMY OF ART COLLEGE (about 18 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 4,548)
Public high school in Hercules:
- HERCULES HIGH (Students: 1,135; Location: 1900 REFUGIO VALLEY RD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Hercules:
- HERCULES MIDDLE (Students: 900; Location: 1900 REFUGIO VALLEY RD.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- OHLONE ELEMENTARY (Students: 507; Location: 1616 PHEASANT DR.; Grades: KG – 06)
- HANNA RANCH ELEMENTARY (Students: 473; Location: 2482 REFUGIO VALLEY ROAD; Grades: KG – 06)
- HERCULES ELEMENTARY (Students: 283; Location: 1919 LUPINE ROAD; Grades: KG – 06)