According to Harvardshoes, Heber Springs is a small town located in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains in central Arkansas. It is known for its crystal-clear lakes and beautiful scenery, and it has become a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts. The town was founded in 1873 and named after Heber Springs, a nearby resort that was popular with vacationers from around the United States.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Heber Springs is located on the Little Red River, which provides some of the best fishing in Arkansas. Anglers can catch largemouth bass, rainbow trout, crappie, catfish and other species of fish that make it a great place to relax or get out on the lake with family or friends. The area also offers plenty of outdoor activities such as camping, canoeing, kayaking and hiking. There are several state parks nearby that offer plenty of opportunities for exploring nature and taking in stunning views.
The downtown area of Heber Springs is full of historic buildings that date back to its founding days as well as modern shops and restaurants. Visitors can enjoy some local cuisine at one of the many restaurants or sample some craft beer at one of the area’s breweries. Shopping opportunities abound with antique stores, gift shops and boutiques offering unique items from local makers.
For those looking for a little more excitement there are plenty of attractions within driving distance including Greers Ferry Lake for watersports enthusiasts, Blanchard Springs Caverns for spelunkers, Bull Shoals Lake for anglers who want to try their luck at catching monster trout and Ozark National Forest where visitors can explore miles of trails through pristine forests teeming with wildlife.
In addition to its natural beauty Heber Springs also offers plenty of culture including music festivals throughout the year such as Jazz on The Square in April or Blues & Brews in October as well as art galleries featuring local artists’ work year round. There are also numerous annual events such as Fourth Of July Fireworks Display over Greer’s Ferry Lake or Christmas In The Park which features holiday lights displays throughout downtown Heber Springs during December each year.
Heber Springs truly has something for everyone whether you’re looking to relax by taking advantage of all its natural beauty or get out there and explore all it has to offer.
Heber Springs is located at 80 km north of Little Rock. Heber Springs is among the state’s major recreational centers. The trout fishing is great on the Little Red River, starting near the Greers Ferry Dam. Greers Ferry Lake, a huge expanse of water with Sugar Loaf Mountain rising on its west end, is a popular recreation area for both water sports and hiking.
Population: 6,432. Estimated population in July 2020: 7,016 (+9.1% change)
Males: 2,934 (45.6%), Females: 3,498 (54.4%)
Zip codes: 72543.
Median resident age: 43.9 years
Median household income: $29,599
Median house value: $83,300
Races in Heber Springs:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.5%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (17.0%), Irish (12.4%), German (11.6%), English (8.8%), French (4.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.4%).
Elevation: 343 feet
Land area: 7.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Heber Springs
- High school or higher: 77.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.4%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Heber Springs city
- Never married: 12.7%
- Now married: 58.3%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 15.1%
- Divorced: 12.6%
1.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +720 (+12.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Heber Springs:
- BAPTIST HEALTH MED CEN HEBER SPRINGS (2319 HIGHWAY 110 WEST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Heber Springs:
- STONE COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; MOUNTAIN VIEW, AR)
- CENTRAL ARKANSAS HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; SEARCY, AR)
- WHITE COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 28 miles; SEARCY, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Heber Springs:
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 42 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: LRF)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 55 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
- MEMORIAL FIELD (about 101 miles; HOT SPRINGS, AR; Abbreviation: HOT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Heber Springs:
- HEBER SPRINGS MUNI (about 3 miles; HEBER SPRINGS, AR; Abbreviation: HBZ)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW WILCOX MEMORIAL FIELD (about 25 miles; MOUNTAIN VIEW, AR; Abbreviation: 7M2)
- HOLLEY MOUNTAIN AIRPARK (about 28 miles; CLINTON, AR; Abbreviation: 2A2)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Heber Springs:
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; SEARCY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,959)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 29 miles; BEEBE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,840)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS (about 35 miles; CONWAY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 7,693)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK (about 57 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,024)
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 78 miles; RUSSELLVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 4,450)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 85 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 98 miles; STATE UNIVERSITY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,696)
Public high school in Heber Springs:
- HEBER SPRINGS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 528; Location: 800 W. MOORE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Heber Springs:
- HEBER SPRINGS ELEM. SCHOOL (Students: 712; Location: 800 W. MOORE; Grades: KG – 05)
- HEBER SPRINGS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 442; Location: 800 W. MOORE; Grades: 06 – 08)