According to Ezinesports, Havana, Arkansas is a small city located in Yell County in the western part of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Petit Jean River and is home to around 1,500 people. The town was founded in 1882 by a group of settlers who were looking for a place to start a new life away from their homes in Missouri.
The city of Havana has a rich history that goes back to its founding in the late 19th century. It was an important trading post for Native American tribes and was visited by early settlers, including Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. Around this time, Havana also became known for its thriving cotton industry, with many plantations growing throughout the area.
Today, Havana remains a small but vibrant community that is proud of its heritage. The downtown area is filled with unique shops and restaurants that reflect the town’s past and present. There are also several historical sites located throughout Havana, including an old cotton gin mill and several Civil War sites that tell the story of this small town’s struggles during this turbulent period in history.
The culture of Havana revolves around family values and old-fashioned hospitality. Residents take pride in their community and work together to ensure it remains strong and prosperous into the future. This spirit can be seen at local festivals such as Cotton Pickin’ Day or during annual events like the Christmas Parade or Fourth of July fireworks display at City Park.
According to Fashionissupreme, Havana residents enjoy spending time outdoors taking advantage of all that nature has to offer. The city’s proximity to both Lake Dardanelle State Park and Petit Jean State Park make it easy for locals to hike, bike or fish anytime they want! With so much to do outdoors, it’s no wonder why so many people have chosen to make Havana their home over the years!
Life in Havana revolves around family values and hard work; something that has defined this little city since its founding more than 130 years ago! Whether you’re looking for a relaxed lifestyle or an exciting outdoor adventure, you can find it here in beautiful Havana, Arkansas.
Population: 392. Estimated population in July 2020: 393 (+0.3% change)
Males: 203 (51.8%), Females: 189 (48.2%)
Zip code: 72842
Median resident age: 32.0 years
Median household income: $30,625
Median house value: $44,300
Races in Havana:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.6%)
- Hispanic (17.9%)
- Other race (11.2%)
- American Indian (2.6%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- Other Asian (1.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (18.1%), Irish (6.6%), German (6.4%), Dutch (4.1%), English (1.3%).
Elevation: 380 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Havana
- High school or higher: 57.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Havana city
- Never married: 17.2%
- Now married: 60.6%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 14.3%
12.5% Foreign born (9.9% Latin America, 1.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +34 (+9.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Havana:
- JOHN ED CHAMBERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; DANVILLE, AR)
- NORTH LOGAN MERCY HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; PARIS, AR)
- DARDANELLE HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; DARDANELLE, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Havana:
- MEMORIAL FIELD (about 54 miles; HOT SPRINGS, AR; Abbreviation: HOT)
- FORT SMITH REGIONAL (about 60 miles; FORT SMITH, AR; Abbreviation: FSM)
- DRAKE FIELD (about 76 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: FYV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Havana:
- DANVILLE MUNI (about 9 miles; DANVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: 32A)
- PARIS MUNI (about 17 miles; PARIS /SUBIACO/, AR; Abbreviation: 7M6)
- BOONEVILLE MUNI (about 23 miles; BOONEVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: 4M2)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Havana:
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; RUSSELLVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 4,450)
- WESTARK COLLEGE (about 50 miles; FT SMITH, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,472)
- HENDERSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 77 miles; ARKADELPHIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,109)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS MAIN CAMPUS (about 77 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 13,324)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS (about 82 miles; CONWAY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 7,693)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK (about 87 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,024)
- NORTHWEST ARKANSAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 99 miles; BENTONVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,197)
Public high school in Havana:
- WESTERN YELL CO. HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 195; Location: #1 WOLVERINE DRIVE; Grades: 07 – 12)