According to beautyphoon, Harrington, Delaware is a small town located in Kent County. It is situated in the northern part of the state, only about an hour’s drive from the larger city of Wilmington. The population of Harrington is approximately 3,500 people.
The town was founded in 1790 and named after Colonel Benjamin Harrington, one of the original settlers. Much of Harrington’s history is rooted in its agricultural roots; some of its earliest industries were related to farming and poultry processing. As such, the area still contains a number of farms and agricultural businesses today.
Harrington is known for its small-town charm and friendly atmosphere. Many locals gather at local restaurants or at one of the many festivals that occur throughout the year. The town has a few parks for residents to enjoy, including Memorial Park which features a playground and picnic pavilion as well as an outdoor walking trail that winds through nearby woods.
The main street running through Harrington offers plenty of shopping options for visitors and residents alike; there are several antique shops, clothing stores, home goods stores, restaurants, and other businesses to explore. In addition to these retail offerings, there are also several professional services available such as financial planners and attorneys.
According to bestitude, Harrington also has some interesting historical sites scattered throughout town; visitors can explore structures like the old post office building which was constructed in 1885 or visit the historic Thomas House which was built over 200 years ago when Harrington was first established as a settlement.
In addition to all these attractions, Harrington offers some excellent educational opportunities for both children and adults alike; there are several public schools located within the city limits including an elementary school and high school as well as a technical college offering programs in fields such as business management, nursing, computer science, engineering technology and more.
Overall Harrington is a great place to live or visit with plenty to do for all ages! It has retained much of its historic character while still providing access to modern amenities like shopping centers and professional services that make it an attractive place to live or visit.
Population: 3,174. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,236 (+2.0% change)
Males: 1,455 (45.8%), Females: 1,719 (54.2%)
Zip code: 19952
Median resident age: 32.4 years
Median household income: $30,945
Median house value: $83,800
Races in Harrington:
- White Non-Hispanic (73.7%)
- Black (21.6%)
- Hispanic (2.5%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (15.0%), English (14.1%), German (11.0%), United States (9.6%), Italian (4.3%), Dutch (2.8%).
Elevation: 63 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Harrington
- High school or higher: 74.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Harrington city
- Never married: 24.6%
- Now married: 51.8%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 13.0%
2.2% Foreign born (0.9% Latin America, 0.7% Europe, 0.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +731 (+29.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Harrington:
- BAYHEALTH MEDICAL CENTER (about 18 miles; DOVER, DE)
- NANTICOKE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 20 miles; SEAFORD, DE)
- BEEBE MEDICAL CENTER (about 32 miles; LEWES, DE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Harrington:
- DOVER AFB (about 16 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 41 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 52 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: ILG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Harrington:
- HENDERSON AVIATION (about 6 miles; FELTON, DE; Abbreviation: 0N6)
- CHORMAN (about 7 miles; FARMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: D74)
- JENKINS (about 14 miles; WYOMING, DE; Abbreviation: 15N)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Harrington:
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE-OWENS (about 22 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 45 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 50 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,817)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (about 51 miles; PRINCESS ANNE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,940)
- WILMINGTON COLLEGE (about 52 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,087)
Public primary/middle schools in Harrington:
- W. T. CHIPMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 548; Location: 101 WEST CENTER STREET; Grades: 07 – 08)
- LAKE FOREST SOUTH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 520; Location: 301 DORMAN STREET; Grades: KG – 04)
Library in Harrington:
- HARRINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $161,722; Location: 110 CENTER STREET; 19,160 books; 680 audio materials; 876 video materials; 38 serial subscriptions)