According to biotionary, Harrell, Arkansas is a small unincorporated community located in Calhoun County in the southeastern corner of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Ouachita River, about 10 miles east of Camden, and has a population of just over 200 people.
The first settlers to arrive in Harrell were primarily farmers who settled along the banks of the river and established small farming communities. Over time, these farms grew into larger businesses that included cotton gins and sawmills. By 1900, Harrell had become an important center for logging and timber production. The town also had several stores and a post office to serve its residents.
In recent years, Harrell has become known for its annual celebration called Harrell Fest. This event takes place each year on Labor Day weekend and includes live music, food vendors, craftsmen and more. It is one of the largest events held in Calhoun County each year and attracts thousands of visitors from all over Arkansas and beyond.
The town also hosts an annual Fourth of July parade every year with floats decorated with patriotic themes, marching bands playing patriotic music, fire trucks from local fire stations participating in the parade, and more. The parade culminates with a fireworks display over the Ouachita River.
According to bittranslators, Harrell is home to several churches including Baptist Church of Harrell which was founded in 1878 as well as two other churches located nearby: New Hope Missionary Baptist Church founded in 1933; and First Pentecostal Church founded in 1953. All three churches have been actively involved in helping their community members since their founding days by providing food pantries for those who are hungry as well as offering support services such as counseling or prayer sessions for those who need it most..
For outdoor activities there are several hiking trails located near Harrell including Cane Creek Falls Trail which features a beautiful waterfall at its end; Red Bluff Trail which offers stunning views from atop Red Bluff Mountain; and Mill Creek Trail which offers a relaxing walk through peaceful woods along Mill Creek Stream. Additionally, there are many fishing spots available throughout Calhoun County that offer anglers an opportunity to catch largemouth bass or catfish depending on what species they prefer to target while out on the water.
Overall, Harrell is a small but welcoming town that offers plenty to do whether you’re looking for outdoor activities or just want to enjoy some peaceful time away from it all! With its rich history steeped in farming culture combined with modern amenities like restaurants and stores nearby it’s easy to see why this little town has so much charm.
Population: 293. Estimated population in July 2020: 286 (-2.4% change)
Males: 133 (45.4%), Females: 160 (54.6%)
Zip code: 71745
Median resident age: 34.4 years
Median household income: $21,875
Median house value: $35,600
Races in Harrell:
- Black (56.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (43.0%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (12.6%), Irish (4.1%), English (3.1%), Subsaharan African (1.0%).
Elevation: 202 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Harrell
- High school or higher: 56.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Harrell city
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 53.7%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 13.4%
- Divorced: 4.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +35 (+13.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Harrell:
- DALLAS COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; FORDYCE, AR)
- BRADLEY COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; WARREN, AR)
- MEDICAL CENTER OF SOUTH ARKANSAS (about 24 miles; EL DORADO, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Harrell:
- MONROE REGIONAL (about 74 miles; MONROE, LA; Abbreviation: MLU)
- MEMORIAL FIELD (about 81 miles; HOT SPRINGS, AR; Abbreviation: HOT)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 84 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Harrell:
- HAMPTON MUNI (about 4 miles; HAMPTON, AR; Abbreviation: 0R6)
- WARREN MUNI (about 23 miles; WARREN, AR; Abbreviation: 3M9)
- H L HOPKINS-FORDYCE MUNI (about 23 miles; FORDYCE, AR; Abbreviation: 5M4)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Harrell:
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 42 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
- SOUTHERN ARKANSAS UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 59 miles; MAGNOLIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 61 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- HENDERSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; ARKADELPHIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,109)
- LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY (about 70 miles; RUSTON, LA; Full-time enrollment: 9,013)
- GRAMBLING STATE UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; GRAMBLING, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,299)
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT MONROE (about 72 miles; MONROE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,116)