According to Harvardshoes, Hancock is a small town in the state of Maryland located in the western part of Washington County, near the Pennsylvania and West Virginia borders. It has a population of 1,400 people and is part of the Hagerstown Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town was founded in 1790 by Thomas Hancock, who named it after his father, John Hancock.
The town is small but vibrant with plenty to do. There are several restaurants and stores to explore, including an antique store, a grocery store and other small businesses. The Hancock Museum houses artifacts from local history and is open for tours on weekends. There are also two parks located within walking distance from downtown: Hancock Park and Memorial Park. Both offer picnic tables, playgrounds and walking trails for visitors to enjoy.
There are several churches in Hancock that serve as the spiritual centers of the community. These include St. Thomas Episcopal Church, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and Grace United Methodist Church among others. Each church sponsors its own events throughout the year such as bazaars, dinners or other activities to bring people together in fellowship with one another.
The town also hosts a variety of annual festivals that attract visitors from all over Maryland and beyond such as the Apple Harvest Festival held each fall at Memorial Park which features live music, rides for kids, food vendors and more; or the 4th of July parade which draws large crowds every year to celebrate America’s independence day; or even the Christmas parade with floats depicting holiday scenes from around town that’s been held since 1843!
According to Health-beauty-guides, Hancock has its own school system which includes an elementary school (grades K-5) along with a middle school (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12). The schools have a great academic reputation with many students going on to pursue higher education opportunities at nearby colleges or universities such as Frostburg State University or Shepherd University both located within 30 miles of Hancock.
Hancock is also home to many recreational activities such as camping at Greenbrier State Park where visitors can enjoy fishing in their lake or hiking on their trails; golfing at Beaver Creek Country Club where there’s an 18-hole championship course; canoeing down Antietam Creek; horseback riding at nearby farms; zip lining through Savage River State Forest; skiing at Wisp Resort; or even tubing down Potomac River!
In conclusion, Hancock is a small but vibrant town that offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for history or recreation – it has something for everyone! With its friendly people and beautiful views it’s easy to see why so many people call this place home.
Population: 1,725. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,736 (+0.6% change)
Males: 809 (46.9%), Females: 916 (53.1%)
Zip code: 21750
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $28,750
Median house value: $71,000
Races in Hancock:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.0%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (30.3%), German (20.5%), Irish (9.3%), English (5.6%), Italian (2.6%), Dutch (2.0%).
Elevation: 448 feet
Land area: 2.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Hancock
- High school or higher: 64.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hancock town
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 50.8%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 11.2%
- Divorced: 11.7%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -239 (-12.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hancock:
- MORGAN CTY WAR MEMORIAL (about 10 miles; BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV)
- FULTON COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; MCCONNELLSBURG, PA)
- CITY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; MARTINSBURG, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hancock:
- HAGERSTOWN REGIONAL-RICHARD A HENSON FLD (about 33 miles; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Abbreviation: HGR)
- ALTOONA-BLAIR COUNTY (about 42 miles; ALTOONA, PA; Abbreviation: AOO)
- JOHN MURTHA JOHNSTOWN-CAMBRIA CO (about 62 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Abbreviation: JST)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hancock:
- POTOMAC AIRPARK (about 3 miles; BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV; Abbreviation: W35)
- EASTERN WV REGIONAL/SHEPHERD FLD (about 25 miles; MARTINSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: MRB)
- BEDFORD COUNTY (about 35 miles; BEDFORD, PA; Abbreviation: HMZ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hancock:
- SHEPHERD COLLEGE (about 32 miles; Shepherdstown, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,576)
- SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,030)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 48 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,064)
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; FROSTBURG, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,672)
- SHIPPENSBURG UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 53 miles; SHIPPENSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,330)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; FREDERICK, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,407)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE ALTOONA (about 59 miles; ALTOONA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,516)
Public primary/middle schools in Hancock:
- HANCOCK MIDDLE SENIOR HIGH (Students: 372; Location: 289 W MAIN ST; Grades: 06 – 12)
- HANCOCK ELEMENTARY (Students: 274; Location: 290 W MAIN ST; Grades: PK – 05)