According to deluxesurveillance, Gurdon, Arkansas is a small town located in Clark County, Arkansas. It is situated on the historic Union Pacific railroad line, and is known for its beautiful natural scenery. The population of Gurdon is approximately 2,400 people, making it one of the smaller towns in the area.
The town was first settled in 1873 by Thomas Gurdon and his family. They established a store and post office in the area and named it after Thomas Gurdon himself. The town quickly grew as more settlers arrived to take advantage of the abundant timber resources in the area. The timber industry remained an important part of the local economy until the late 20th century when it began to decline due to changing markets and regulations.
Today, Gurdon remains a small but thriving community with many amenities to offer its residents. There are several churches in town that serve both local citizens as well as visitors from out of town. In addition to this, there are several businesses located throughout Gurdon that provide goods and services for both locals and visitors alike. These include restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, banks, hardware stores and more.
According to electronicsmatter, Gurdon also boasts a number of parks for residents to enjoy. The most popular park is probably Gurdon Park which features a large pond with fishing docks as well as walking trails through wooded areas around the pond’s edge. Other parks include City Park which has tennis courts and playground equipment; Memorial Park which has picnic tables; King Memorial Park which has basketball courts; and Southside Park which offers an outdoor amphitheater with seating for up to 200 people as well as a skate park for skateboarding enthusiasts!
In addition to these great recreational activities available within Gurdon there are also several annual festivals hosted by various organizations throughout town throughout each year including: Arbor Day Festival held each April at King Memorial Park; Summerfest held each June at City Park featuring live music; Fall Festival held each October at Southside Park featuring hayrides; Christmas Parade held each December along Main Street; and many more!
Overall, Gurdon offers an ideal place for those looking for a small-town atmosphere with plenty of amenities available nearby such as shopping centers, restaurants, banks, churches and recreation facilities all within walking distance from one another! With its friendly citizens who embrace their heritage and embrace newcomers alike coupled with its beautiful natural scenery makes it an ideal place to call home.
Population: 2,276. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,233 (-1.9% change)
Males: 1,052 (46.2%), Females: 1,224 (53.8%)
Zip code: 71743
Median resident age: 34.7 years
Median household income: $26,446
Median house value: $42,200
Races in Gurdon:
- White Non-Hispanic (59.3%)
- Black (35.8%)
- Hispanic (4.3%)
- Other race (3.1%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (11.2%), Irish (9.9%), English (7.2%), Subsaharan African (5.7%), German (2.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.6%).
Elevation: 205 feet
Land area: 2.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gurdon
- High school or higher: 65.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gurdon city
- Never married: 21.3%
- Now married: 50.7%
- Separated: 4.3%
- Widowed: 9.7%
- Divorced: 14.0%
3.0% Foreign born (3.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -110 (-4.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gurdon:
- BAPTIST HEALTH MEDICAL CENTER -ARKADEL (about 15 miles; ARKADELPHIA, AR)
- OUACHITA COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 33 miles; CAMDEN, AR)
- MEDICAL PARK HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; HOPE, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gurdon:
- MEMORIAL FIELD (about 39 miles; HOT SPRINGS, AR; Abbreviation: HOT)
- TEXARKANA REGIONAL-WEBB FIELD (about 66 miles; TEXARKANA, AR; Abbreviation: TXK)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 85 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gurdon:
- GURDON LOWE FIELD (about 2 miles; GURDON, AR; Abbreviation: 5M8)
- DEXTER B FLORENCE MEMORIAL FIELD (about 14 miles; ARKADELPHIA, AR; Abbreviation: M89)
- KIZER FIELD (about 16 miles; PRESCOTT, AR; Abbreviation: 4F7)
Amtrak station near Gurdon:
- 16 miles: ARKADELPHIA (798 S. 5TH ST.)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gurdon:
- HENDERSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; ARKADELPHIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,109)
- SOUTHERN ARKANSAS UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 46 miles; MAGNOLIA, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,646)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK (about 80 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,024)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 87 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 94 miles; RUSSELLVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 4,450)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 96 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS (about 99 miles; CONWAY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 7,693)
Public high school in Gurdon:
- GURDON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 267; Location: 7777 HWY 67 SOUTH; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gurdon:
- GURDON PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 318; Location: 401 NORTH 10 STREET; Grades: KG – 04)
- CABE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 269; Location: 7780 HWY 67 SOUTH; Grades: 05 – 08)